Getting Babies to Sleep through the night! HELP!!!

OK I have a 2 year old that still goes to bed with her bottle and wakes up frequetly in the night for another "baba".

I also have a 6month old who also wakes up at least 3 times a night for her bottle. My doctor told me to give water instead of milk for 10 days but I wanted to hear real moms answers. Please help. I know they need to get off the bottles but I want to know ways to do that. I need more sleep at night.

QTMamma01

Asked by QTMamma01 at 1:16 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son i took his bottle and told him he wasnt getting it anymore i was tired of washing them and my daughter broker herself from them but i agree with the doctor try giving the water
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 1:17 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I have a 3yr old that still wants milk cup in the middle of the night and a one year old that nurses ALL NIGHT so I understand where you're coming from but I don't have any advice for you SORRY
    blakensara

Answer by blakensara at 1:18 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• my 17mo old still wants to nurse 3 times a night, at her nap and before bed. i want to wean her but it kills me to make her CIO and she will not take a bottle. i don't know what to do either
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 1:20 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I would do water in the baby's bottle and show the toddler how to drink out of a sippy cup or sports water bottle. Then you can put one near the bed and she can get a drink anytime she is thirsty. There may come a time where you will have to let them cry it out. It sounds harsh but one of the reasons they are still waking up for bottles is because you are still giving it to them!
    mommie_2boys

Answer by mommie_2boys at 1:23 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I got my son's bottles and threw them away right in front of him and i told him "no more your a big boy" and handed him a new sippey cup I bought that day.
    effie777

Answer by effie777 at 1:25 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I guess I dont want them to grow up. I love to take care of them and get them what they want every sec and I feel like if I am not making bottles in the middle of the night they dont need me any more. I just need to get over it and throw the bottles away. I know my 6 month old still needs some but the 2year needs to just use her sippy cup.
    QTMamma01

Answer by QTMamma01 at 1:31 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I can totally relate. My fourth child is 2 1/2 and I let him keep his bottles and passy until October because I didn't want him to grow up. I seriously didn't care if he sucked them forever. I knew that wasn't going to happen, but hes my last baby. I finally did get tired of losing them and he just took the cup. He didn't seem to care when all the passys were gone either. Your issue might be harder because you still have a baby in the house and your 2 yr old might not understand why the baby gets the bottles but she doesn't.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:47 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I think you need to take the hard road with the two year old and let him cry it out at night. If you think he could handle it, ditch the bottles all together with him and just do sippy cups or do it one meal/snack at a time.

For the 6 mos old you can try weaning him: 5oz one night, 4 the next, etc. until you get to one oz. and then do one ounce water and then nothing.

Also check out Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Dr. Marc Weissbluth. Helped me help my twins become great nappers and sleep through the night. (BTW I got the book when they were 6 mos old).
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:51 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• the 6m old you really can't and shouldn't do away with those feedings unless doctor recommended I agree with getting the 2 yr old off the btl. All of my children were off the btl at 1 and on a sippy cup. IF you can get her off the bottle then it will get easier to stop the night time calling for a bottle. Switching those thirsty moments to water will also get her tummy to realize that she's not hungry.
    IS the baby waking her up or is she getting up on her own for something to drink. Possibly cuddling her back to sleep or with a song may comfort her. Good luck. I too have 2 very young one's close together and sometimes I think I'm going insane without my sleep. The important thing to remember is that it doesn't last forever and soon you'll be getting those 8 straight hours you so deserve. Hugs.
    nightowlmama4

Answer by nightowlmama4 at 2:29 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I breastfeed and my little one gets me up every hour and keeps me up for almost 45min holding him before he lets me put him down without screaming. Soon your little one will be teething too..
    nightowlmama4

Answer by nightowlmama4 at 2:30 PM on Dec. 4, 2008