Jehovas witness?

do you believe some of Jehova's witnesses' beliefs contradict scripture? Why, or why not? I am not a JW, just wondering other's POV out there.

amberpatterson

Asked by amberpatterson at 3:41 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I grew up as a Jehovah's Witness and I don't think that their beliefs contradict scripture. It just depends on you interpretation. They could pick up any Bible and reason what they believe. They do use the New World Translation but could easily use any other version. Now if someone could turn things around and say that it was incorrect just as they could turn an others interpretation of things against them. I really think it is all in interpretation. I am not one any more.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 4:05 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I couldn't care less as long as they don't knock on my door to tell me about it.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:58 PM on May. 2, 2011

• It doesn't contradict THEIR scripture.
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 3:51 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I don't know a whole bunch about how they interpret the scriptures, but I do realize that the scriptures are able to be interpreted and understood in many different ways, and am hesitant to declare anyone else's beliefs to be "wrong" or "contradictory"...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:56 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Honestly I don't know enough about their beliefs to say, and it's not my place to pass judgement on them.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:02 PM on May. 2, 2011

• My philosophy "You believe what you will, I'll stick to my beliefs, and in the end, we'll find out who's right and who wasn't."

I am more than happy to discuss with anyone what I believe is true, if they are willing to listen and want to know, but I won't push what I believe onto you.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 5:02 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I studied with a wonderful JW woman for weeks. We came to a point of disagreement when she said Jesus was not coming again. I clearly disagree with that because God says he is in the Bible. That is a big enough reason for me to believe they have missed the mark. Just my opinion. I also knew a lady who refused to speak to her daughter because she smoked cigarettes and I don't think that is God's way. We are ALL without exception, sinners.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 5:44 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Not at all. I grew up JW, although most of my extended family is Roman Catholic. I am Pagan. And no, I don't think so. I think it's their understanding of scripture. Unfortunately nothing biblical is black and white, so believers are left to translate for themselves. Jehovah's Witnesses, I think, tend to over think and over study, but that's not always a bad thing.

As someone who's not Christian AT ALL, I have to say if I were to be Christian, I would be JW. Why? Because I am someone who believes you should live your faith 100%, and they may seem extreme, but it's because they LIVE their faith in everything they do.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:48 PM on May. 2, 2011

• They believe Jesus will destroy anyone who is NOT a JW. You must earn an everlasting life by "door-to-door" work
    -------------------

one of my friends is a JW and i remember her saying that the people that will get destroyed are the wicked, not non JW's. the bible says that the meek will inherit the earth. and she also said that they go door to door because Jesus left an example to follow in his footsteps, so they do that because of that and it also says to go and make disciples and baptizing ppl, that might be the works that they are referring to when they say that faith without works is dead. they have reasons for doing what they do or dont do, they dont just pull it out of the air. and they dont worship charles russell, they worship God and follow the teachings of Jesus Christ.
    gummybearmomma

Answer by gummybearmomma at 12:11 PM on May. 3, 2011

• i dont know enough about it and haven't read the bible thoroughly enough to really comment on their beliefs.
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 3:43 PM on May. 2, 2011