At what age do your kids have to pack their own backpacks for school?

My son is in 2nd grade and I still pack it for him. I have started asking him to put his library books or folder in it and he will do it, no problem. I don't expect him to remember everything just yet.

Just wondering what age you stopped doing that for them and expect them to remember everything on the correct days and their lunches etc.

choco_mom

Asked by choco_mom at 3:44 PM on May. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• My daughter is in 2nd grade. She does it. But she never really unpacks it. She does her homework and puts her stuff right back. She never takes out the library books.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:46 PM on May. 2, 2011

• my son is still too young for this but i was packing my backpack in first grade. i'm sure my mom or dad checked it then though.
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 3:48 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Mompam - does your daughter not read her library books?? or just read them and put them right back?
    choco_mom

Comment by choco_mom (original poster) at 3:49 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Kindergarten. They're taught to pack up themselves at the end of the school day and do fine - no reason it can't happen at home. I just tell them it's time to get ready and get everything put in there. There are punishments at school if homework folders aren't returned daily.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:50 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I also have a 2nd grader and honestly I will always check the bckpack to make sure everything is ready!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 3:51 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I have no clue when they start, it's just a natural progression. I do still check and make sure but by junior high I quit doing even that.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 3:51 PM on May. 2, 2011

• She doesn't read her library books. She reads them at school when they have reading time. At home she reads different books. She's reading an American Girl book now. She reads long chapter books at home.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:53 PM on May. 2, 2011

• preschool...kindergarten. Right from the start. I don't think I've ever packed my kids bookbags (except the first day when trying to fit all their supplies in there. They were always expected to empty it when they got home and bring me necessary papers and then pack it back up after they were done with homework (even my youngest dd who was only 3 in preschool). Mine are in 5th, 3rd and 2nd and the only time I look in their bags is if I find out they haven't been giving me things or turning their homework in (which has been a problem with my 2nd grader but I think we sorted it out and she now understands how important it is).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:55 PM on May. 2, 2011

• my dad checked my bag till i was in 8th grade lol i always have 8 extra books in my backpack so i could read something....and that's why my shoulders and ribs are uneven XD
    Lizzypuppylove

Answer by Lizzypuppylove at 3:56 PM on May. 2, 2011

• My pre-k'er, 1st grader and 5th grader all pack their own. Now when my 2 younger ones aren't looking I check behind them to make sure they haven't forgotten anything... =)
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 3:59 PM on May. 2, 2011