For everyone who works from home, how do you separate work from home/kids stuff?

I find that since I work from home, everytime I'm NOT working I feel guilty. I look at my computer and think "I really should be writing another page for my website or marketing my lead generation system". I feel guilty that I am not working!! When you work in an office, it's easy. You leave your office and you leave all your work behind. I would devote 100% of my time to my kids when I got home from work. It makes me think twice about working from home. Does anyone else feel this way? How do you manage working from home?

amycorp

Asked by amycorp at 3:47 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Money & Work

• That is tough!! I feel like that too. But I think the best thing to do is plan your week and work when you say you are going to work and then spend your off time being truly OFF. Then let the guilt go. Hope this helps.
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 4:14 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Great question... I know I love spending time with my little girl.....but I also know how important it is to support my family. So what I do is, I get my family involved with my home business too. That way you're still promoting your business and spending time with the kids. Hope this kind of helps.
    HlthyCoffeeMom

Answer by HlthyCoffeeMom at 4:16 PM on May. 2, 2011

• it is rough.. i own a company and when the kids are out of school they know i have to work but i try my hardest to get off the computer as fast as i can.. and ya i check my email often i cant keep customers waiting.. i try and keep my facebook and yahoo open 24/7 just in case someone needs me... i tried making a schedule but i worked for maybe a week..
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 4:17 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I was able to telecommute for a couple of weeks during the last part of my maternity leave. It made clear to me how much I hate working from home since everything lumps together. After I went back to work on-site, I found it easier to separate those parts of my life.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 5:28 PM on May. 2, 2011

• It can be tough sometimes. One thing that helps me is I divide my day up into segments-- morning is my 'fun' time on computer and my time to get housework done. When my hubs gets home that is my 'work' time and I go in my room and close the door. Sometimes it is hard for the hubs/kids to get that I am working and not to bother me.... hubs will walk in and ask what is for supper, the kids will come in and pester, the cat will be at the door wanting in/out, and of course every once in a while the phone rings and I somehow get interrupted and stuck on some phone call. .... I am about ready to put up a "do not disturb" sign on the door and lock it!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:44 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Having a separate space with a door and shutting it helps. Blocking your time helps. My DH worked out of the house for 4 years and we tried to give him the time and space he needed. Every once and a while our son would roll a match box car under his door. They'd have a little back and forth and then he'd say he had to go back to work, and we'd see him at lunch every day at 12 and supper at 5. He's take the full hour, maybe working at night to finish up, maybe being "at home". When I freelanced from home, it was harder as the work schedule really fluctuated Your spouse has to be really understanding if you're working with a deadline. My sister in law has a small work space for her daughter in her home office so that when she gets back from school they do their homework and work together.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 9:35 AM on May. 4, 2011