Grilling a whole chicken..? (so very confused...)r

I have looked as recipes online and have not found one consistency in technique. The only thing they seems to agree on is a 4-5 pounder will take 2 3/4 to 2 hours. Some say direct heat some say no direct heat others say a litle of both. SOme day flip every 15 min some say every 30 min. There are so many ways I can't even find a middle ground!! Anyway has anyone actually done this? What technique did you use? How did it turn out? Anything you would do different?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 3:48 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Food & Drink

• goggle beer can chicken! I make it, and it turns out amazing every time!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:50 PM on May. 2, 2011

• http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2008/05/beer-can-cola-can-dr-pepper-grilled-chicken-recipe.html

I usually do this in the oven, but it's fabulous, so I don't know why it wouldn't come out great on the grill!
    Anonymous

• Oh see? kimi knows!
    Anonymous

• i second beer can chicken, never made it but heard it's great!

ive never grilled a whole chicken, but ill give you my tips for roasting one in the oven. i rub mine down with butter, then put on some adobo seasoning and a few other seasongs, and i place the chicken breast side down in a roasting pan. roast it in the oven for about 4 hours depending on size, and continually baste in juices. the last time i made this it looked like something out of a magazine and was soooo tender and juicy!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:52 PM on May. 2, 2011

• My supermarket sells them already roasty toasty. I can get cornbread too. :D
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 3:49 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Grilling it? Cut it down the backbone and flatten it or else you'll have a chicken that is burned on the outside and raw on the inside. Roasting it takes the time you mentioned above.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:51 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Try this: http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/2009/07/01/kar_529404.shtml
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:52 PM on May. 2, 2011

• If you want to cook it whole, the best way is to set it down with the cavity over a Coke can or something similar. We actually have bought some gizmos for cooking whole chickens, and they are very handy The good thing about cooking them in that position is that you do not have to worry about turning them. How long you need to cook them depends on the size of the chickens, how hot your grill is and whether or not it has a lid on it. I would just say cook them until the juices run clear and the meat easily separates from the bones. Also, having liquid in the can keeps the chicken really moist and delicious.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:55 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Google BBQ university - Steve (or Stephen?) Reichlen. He does a show on PBS and has the site & a ton of cook books, and his way of grilling chicken is sooooooo good. I follow his advice and it's always good!
    Anonymous