How to tell my other kids?

Ok this has been weighing on my mind for a while and i have been nervous about even posting it b/c i still can't wrap my head around it but i need some help. My oldest son has been recently released from a behavioral facility and they recommended that we put him in a long term care facility which we knew already was going to happen. well we just found out that b/c all the places around us have a really long waiting list he will proabably have to go to texas. And this could be happening as early as next week. I am at a loss on how to explain this to my other children they didn't handle the other stay that well and that was only for 36 days this will be for 4 months at least. I just don't know what to say to them b/c i don't even know what to say to myself... pleaase help

amberpaiz

Asked by amberpaiz at 4:06 PM on May. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• First, big hugs to you. I'm so sorry your family is having to go through this.

Second, my dialogue would be "Guys, I know our family has been through a lot lately. We are going to have to be strong for (oldest son), who is having a really hard time right now. You guys know that he needed to stay at the mental health facility for a while. Well, he still needs help. All the places who can help him around here are going to take too long to get him in, and he really needs this. So he needs to go stay in Texas for a while. We are going to have to be strong and support him and stick together through this, because this is what he needs us to do." If you will be able to visit him there, make sure to tell them that. Tell them they can write letters and send pictures, and if he will have access to email, tell them that too. You can call, too.

Good luck, mama.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:12 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I am not sure what he's in there for but I can only imagine the behavior must have affected the other children at home. Tell them this is going to be better for the family and help him take care of things he needs to learn - I'm so sorry - good luck
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:10 PM on May. 2, 2011

• sorry didn't mean to leave that out he has severe ADHD ODD and mood behavior. And yes some of it effected them but most of his destruction was to himself. i just feel so helpless right now and like i failed him.
    amberpaiz

Comment by amberpaiz (original poster) at 4:12 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I had a son with issues and you just be as honest as you can be. He is sick and needs help and the place he is going to can help him.

Answer by gemgem at 4:12 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Be as honest as you can while still catering to their age and ability to understand. It could help to find a family support group (likeNAMI) so that all of you have an outlet for your feelings.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 4:22 PM on May. 2, 2011