How much milk can I expect to get from pumping

I just started pumping last night and produced 1/2 an ounce after 5 mins. Is that normal or low? thanks

BunintheOven1

Asked by BunintheOven1 at 1:29 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• how old is your baby. for the 1st few weeks i only got about 1/2 ounce, then it gradually increased. the most I got was 4 ounces out of one side
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 1:32 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Expect to pump anywhere from a few drops to a few ounces. Everyone is different, and some women can't pump anything at all!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:33 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I ebf-ed my daughter and she got plenty if she ate directly from my breast. However, I could not for the life of me get more than an ounce or two ouf of each breast with a pump. Do not take it as an indication of low milk supply. As long as your daughter is gaining weight she is getting enough.
    Anonymous

• Oh and I breast-fed her for 15months, the first 6 exclusively.
    Anonymous

• Everybody is different I guess. As you nurse more your milk supply will get bigger. I was only getting about 2 oz. all together at first, but now I get about 4 oz. out of each breast. Now that my son is in daycare and I'm pumping at work I have noticed a huge increase. Pay attention while your pumping though...I didn't and it overflowed into the actual pump!
    eddann01

Answer by eddann01 at 7:28 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I get anywhere from 2 ozs all together to 4 or 5 ozs. My daughter is 5 1/2 weeks old. The more you pump and bf the more milk you will produce. Good luck!!
    fgeith05

Answer by fgeith05 at 12:34 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Hi Charis-

That is very common - you should be drinking a lot of water and keeping yourself hydrated really good!!!

-Marcia
    LonelyinNH

Answer by LonelyinNH at 8:30 AM on Dec. 5, 2008