2 week old, latching difficulties

My son was born just under 2 weeks ago, and when my milk started coming in, my nipples started getting really sore when I breastfed. The nurses at the hospital helped to make sure that my son was latching properly, and he was, so it seems that my nipples are just not made to handle regular feedings. We've worked around this by pumping and alternating feedings between breast and bottle, but now I've noticed that he won't latch on my right side. He'll take the nipple in, and suck once or twice, then spit it out. I've tried offering it again and again, and he won't latch. He doesn't seem to have any difficulties latching on my left side....any suggestions?

BisketLiss

Asked by BisketLiss at 5:12 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son did that and I offered the breast he didn't like first while he was the hungriest.. After a while he did fine on both..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:20 PM on May. 2, 2011

• It's only been two weeks-your body will get used to it. My first never latched on at all. The second breastfed right away. It was really difficult getting used to it and the first month or so your nipples will feel like they have been put through a Freddy Kreuger movie. Make sure you don't bleed. That is the most important. Buy Lansinoh-it a lotion and it works wonders. Pump when you can too to encoursge milk production. Technique can become a full-time job as you will find breastfeeding soon will be! Good luck!
    ltmorton

Answer by ltmorton at 8:22 PM on May. 2, 2011

• It sometimes takes a bit for a little one to learn how to latch on. You also might want to have him checked for either a tongue tie or a lip tie...those also interfere, even when he looks like he is latched on correctly.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:25 PM on May. 2, 2011

• my daughter was born a week ago and did the same thing in the hospital, when i talked to the lactation specialist and she seen me pump milk to take to the NICU for her she realized that it was not the size of my nipple or the size of my daughters mouth (as she is a preemie) but it was that i over make milk and it come out to quickly for her. so she is moving her tongue in front of the nipple to stop the flow, this makes her not want to drink. i ended up just going ahead and pumping milk for her to drink, the other thing you could do that i did with my oldest son was to get what is called a nipple shield. its a plastic not hard but soft cover that gets there mouth in the right place and seems to make the milk come in slower.
    Manda_Evans

Answer by Manda_Evans at 8:35 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Nipple shields are not a good thing, they can make baby and mom to attached to them. If you have over active let down, there are ways to fix that..like block feeding.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:37 PM on May. 2, 2011

• My DS does that sometimes too. What I do is dry his saliva off of my nipple and give it to him again, and he will take it, I hope this works.
    amberpatterson

Answer by amberpatterson at 1:02 AM on May. 3, 2011