Should I let my 4 year old pick the name of "Little Brother"?

My 4 year old son seems to "dislike" every single name I pick out for the little brother that is almost here.

I'm wondering if any of you let an older sibling pick the baby's name?

My mother let my sister (who was 3 at the time) pick out my name, and I've been mad about it since! LOL

mamawhit

Asked by mamawhit at 5:24 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Baby Names

• Well to include him, you could make it a game. Write like 4 or 5 names you like and let him pick one from the hat. He will be included but you wont end up with "This is my son Tommy and his little brother Optimus Prime" haha
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:57 AM on May. 3, 2011

• No I would not do that. And pleasing your 4 year old with is NOT necessary. You should just choose a name and tell 4 year old that this is the name...he will get use to it!

That is far to much to place on a 4 year old and you are trying to please a young child with something that is very important to this new baby.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:26 PM on May. 2, 2011

• No way, he can have input! He will get his chance to name kids when he has them.
    damselphish

Answer by damselphish at 5:26 PM on May. 2, 2011

• If you are ok with the name being Sneezy or Dopey go ahead lol.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 5:27 PM on May. 2, 2011

• No way! If you give her "control" of naming the baby, she will think she "owns" him/her. However, her resistance to your names of the baby may indicate that he/she has anxiety over losing her status with you when the baby comes. Just keep reassuring him/her. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:38 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Depends on what name he picks. If it was something I like or could grow to like, then sure. But my oldest wanted to name his little brother Baby Butthead. So you have to be careful!

:p
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:41 PM on May. 2, 2011

• No! Ask Robin Williams' daughter, Zelda. Naming the baby is the parents' right.
    pampire

Answer by pampire at 5:34 PM on May. 2, 2011

• why don't you give him a choice of the names off your list? and my son would name all babies little Colter, and all our dogs and my mom;s chickens, lol, I guess he likes his name :)
    TXColter

Answer by TXColter at 12:57 AM on May. 3, 2011

• my cousins picked their youngest brother's middle name.

they decided on the same name as the older brothers.
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 5:26 PM on May. 2, 2011

• If I let my 4 year old pick out the name of the one I'm pregnant with now, we'd have another Evie (like her). I say it depends upon weather or not you like the name he picks. Or maybe let him pick the middle name? My sister let her oldest pick the middle name of her youngest.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 5:27 PM on May. 2, 2011