• In the Spotlight:

Introducing food to a 6 month old.

Want to start introducing food to my 6 month old but when and what do I feed her? How many bottles and how much food. What do I feed her before bed to get her to sleep without bottles?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• its really bad for your child to 'feed her up' so she will sleep.

I woudl suggest giving mushed up bananas to begin with..then moved on to other fruits. If you baby isnt interested dont worry. My son is 1 and only just has shown a major interest in eating foods.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 1:41 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Rice and Oatmeal cereals are the least of the allergenic grains and thus most babies are started out with those cereals.
    fRUITS -May be served raw after 8 months old – bananas and avocados do NOT need to be cooked ever
    VEGGIES- Always serve cooked until after 12 months old or when baby can chew well enough so that no choking hazard is present.
    PROTEIN- Always serve cooked with no pink areas – NEVER give a small baby/child raw meat or fish
    DAIRY-NEVER replace breast milk or formula until after 12 months of age – serious health risks are possible.
    Never give a child under the age of 2yrs
    old low fat or skim milk products; whole milk is necessary.
    Four to Six (4-6) Months old
    Try mixing together the foods that you have already introduced without allergies or reactions. Rice Cereal mixed with Bananas for example.

sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 1:45 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• You'll need to start off with 2 tsp of a veggie for 3-4 days every feeding. This is to make sure that your baby has no allergies. After getting through the veggies then start on fruits the same way. Check w/ your pedi for a feeding schedule mine suggested rice cereal 1st, then oatmeal. I give my 8m old 4tsp of oatmeal & 1 tsp of fruit mixed before bed. Still gets up to nurse every 2 1/2 hrs. Some baby's just do. Good luck and don't forget to take pics ;)
    nightowlmama4

Answer by nightowlmama4 at 1:50 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• soft baked peaches - diced, small dices of ripe banana, small bits of ripe mango, dices of ripe pears, small dices of melon ,small bits of avocado, squished blueberries.
    Baby Finger Food Veggies - make sure veggies are cooked soft, peeled and de-seeded as needed!
    soft baked sweet potato dices or sweet potato fries (see below for recipe)
    soft baked white potato dices
    small dices of soft cooked carrots/broccoli,small dices of soft cooked peas
    small bits of soft cooked green beans,small bits of soft baked butternut or acorn squash
    small dices of soft cooked veggies mixed for a "veggie finger medley"
    small bits of soft cheeses
    small dices, shreds of soft cooked chicken, fish, beef or turkey (mix with baby's favorite puree as a "sauce")
    scrambled egg yolks
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 1:50 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Hi! The information I have was given to me by my 6 month old son doctor. He/She should have 24 ounces of formula in a 24 hour period. She told me to introduce vegetables first then move to fruit then so on and so on. She said he should have 3 servings of the jar vegetables a day and it can be mixed with the cereal if I want. She also said when introducing something new then give him only that for 7 days before introducing something else so if he's allergic to something we know what it is. (for example I have already introduced carrots and sweet potatoes and I am getting ready to intorduce peas so I will mix his peas with either carrots or sweet potatoes only so if he has an allergic reaction I know it was the peas). Also she allowed me to give table food on Thanksgiving, but she said no meat or carbs until 8 months so I just gave him corn bread with the juice from some greens and he loved it.
    InLuvLikeNevaB4

Answer by InLuvLikeNevaB4 at 1:54 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Look on the Gerber website. They have a suggested menu to give you an idea of what they should eat in a typical day. As far as sleeping through the night, it helped when my little man started solids. His pedi recommended solids at 4mths because he wasn't sleeping actually but he's a big boy. lol. 20lbs at 6mths. ; )
    nicholeml

Answer by nicholeml at 3:38 PM on Dec. 4, 2008