Are we that much different than our parents?

Do you think kids today are REALLY disciplined that much differently from they way they were raised? I live in Florida and am pregnant with my first child, so I can't say yet about my own child, but it seems like most of my friends with preschoolers still discipline them like "the old days". Almost everyone I know spanks in the privacy of their homes, even though many would never do so in public (I know a few who don't give a hoot). Some even use wooden spoons or pull down pants, which isn't exactly modern thinking! Is this just a quirk in the area I live in Florida, or is it that things REALLY haven't change that much over the last 20 years?

Everything I read talks about how enlightened today's parents are compared to their parents, but from I've seen reality is that things really haven't changed that much. I would be interested to hear what you think!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• IMO it's all about technology and food. 20 years ago cell phones and video games weren't king. Portions were smaller and kids were outside 24/7 when not in school. Obesity, a sedentary life, tvs in cars, etc. There's no conversations, no morals, no reason to be good. Be bad enough and you'll get a reality show.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:15 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I think it depends on who you hang around with and how they were raised. I dont spank. 90% of my friends also dont spank. There is no need to.

Answer by gemgem at 5:41 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I'm the same situation as gemgem....only I'm a care giver grand ma this time, but it was the same with my kids. I am very different than my parents though.
    This is such a controversial subject, but I really feel that most of the mommies here are doing the very best job they can based on their experience and knowledge. Even the ones I don't see eye to eye with have my respect because they are here trying to be better moms by gaining insight about how to raise their children. The ones who don't care typically don't look to better themselves or ask questions.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 5:59 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I'm damn proud to be raising my kids as I was raised. I have amazing parents and believe that if my kids feel even half as loved and cherished as I did, then i'm a success. I don't know what all this talk about "enlightened" means as far as todays parents.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 6:07 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I do not inflict pain on my children. I do know parents that are raising their children differently than I raise mine.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:14 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I received spankings as a child, but do not spank my children. I recall telling my parents when I was young that I would NEVER spank my children -- and I don't. Now that I think about it, I parent almost completly opposite of how my parents did (not putting them down because I turned out ok) -- I just changed the things that needed changing. I am quiet certain that my children will find ways to improve upon my style as well!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 6:18 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I am a much better parent than my own. They will agree with me on that statement and are proud of me for breaking a cycle of teen parenting and abuse.
    chaiteamomma

Answer by chaiteamomma at 7:14 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Well, I can happily say I am raising my children VERY differently than I was raised! My mother did what she believed was best, but I believe it was/is abuse to treat a child, or an adult, that way. My mother was an "iron fist" highly detached parent, I on the other hand am a "free range attachment" parent. It's like night and day. Overall though, no, I don't think there really are that many differences about the way my generation grew up and how this one is.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:20 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I am raising my child differently. I hug, I tell him I am sorry when I mess up, I reconsider my actions, I talk to him about his thoughts and feelings, I don't spank (I wasn't but my siblings were), I don't really yell, I play with him and we have fun, I don't call him names...so personally I do a lot of things differently. But I do hear many moms say, "it worked for me and my siblings so it is good enough for my kids." In that case I think okay...not so different. Overall most people do parent similar to the way they were raised. It's a mixed bag.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:36 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I'm raising my child differently than I was raised as well. We weren't spanked or hit, but we were yelled at a lot and I find myself struggling with the tone of my voice at times. I know it will take practice. My kids will also freely receive hugs and kisses and praise and will know how much they are loved all the time.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 12:03 AM on May. 3, 2011