The Mormom Faith

I just know that someone on this forum will be able to answer my (and my daughter's questions regarding the Mormom faith and how it differs (if it does) with other denominations.
Let me just preface this by saying that we are a Christian family and do not get caught-up with "What denonmination are you" religious mentality! Not there is anything wrong with being affiliated with one, but if someone were to personally ask me what denonmination I was, I would answer, Christian.

My question; my 14 year old daughter has a friend who happens to be a Mormon, and she asked me what is the main difference in their belief system? I told her that Mormoms believe that Jesus is the Son of god, however, they use The Book of Mormom as well as the Bible.

Do Mormoms believe the Bible in it's entirety ( as do most denominations) or just some of it?
What is the main difference in their teachings?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• God the Father, the Son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost are three separate individual beings.

Humans existed as spirits before this life, salvation is returning to God. Salvation by faith in Christ, good works, ordinances, and evangelism.

All return to spirit world for period of instruction before resurrection. Mormons to heaven with God and families; others rewarded but not with God; hell for those who reject God after death.

Abstinence from alcohol, tobacco, coffee and tea; baptism for the dead; eternal marriage; temple garments under daily clothes; active evangelism.

Christian Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price

Originated with Joseph Smith, 1830, New York
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:37 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• some of it. they have their own bible and also idolize and pretty much worship Joseph Smith. It really is very cultish. my family are mormon and they are so devoted to it i wish there were more christians like that. But they are wonderful people and are devoted to their husbands/wifes. many people say ohh mormans can marry as many people as they want no not all mormons believe that... but they have their own "bible" and Joseph Smith
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:39 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• They are a different religion not denomination. They use a book written by Joseph Smith that contradicts the Bible. I consider them a cult. In my area Mormons have nothing to do with non Mormons. I am a Christian and the Bible is the only book God gave us. Anything else is false doctrine and is not of God.

Anonymous

• Sorry, but most of this is wrong. Mormons do not have their own Bible. They believe in the Bible as well as the Book of Mormon. While some may believe that they are a cult, they should look up the definition of the word cult. LDS (or Mormons) are considered a main stream religion now. They do not worship Joseph Smith. He is more of a special figure since he created the church and was the first prophet.

I hope this helps. Oh and I am not Mormon. I have done a lot of studying and researching about religions in general.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:02 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• he created the church and was the first prophet.... So its a man based religion? So if they have the same bible do they pick and choose or only belive some of the bible? Are you sure they can only marry one person? Any mormans here to answer?
    Anonymous

• They are not a denomination they are a separate religion that uses the Bible but does not get their doctrine from it. The way they run their church is out of the Book of Mormon and the basis for their religion. Their beliefs contradict the Bible most of the time so they really are not Christians. The Bible is all a person of the Christian faith needs. Another book written by a man trying to justify polygamy is not Christian in nature. Yes, I know they don't practice this now and I know they don't openly practice racism like they did. They change to suit their purpose and the worlds purpose. Churches that are Biblically based and really in tune with God don't change.

Anonymous

• Do they celabrate christmas..... lol (given the last few posts)
    Anonymous

• evangelism??? what is this word?
    Anonymous

• Not saying racism is right or polygamy is right. They are a church that had this as a foundation of their faith for a while. Christians have the Bible and it does not change and no other book written by a man with special glasses was needed to teach us more. It is complete and all we need. They are not a Christian church they are a church that uses our holy book to legitimize themselves.

Anonymous

• evangelism: the winning or revival of personal committments to Christ
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:26 PM on Dec. 4, 2008