Renting my first apartment :)

Is it hard? I am 18, and now I'm ready to rent.... So what should I know about this? I am working and I know I can take care of expenses, but what all do I need to know when putting in an application?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:36 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I've never had an issue regarding my credit and renting my own place. The biggest thing they look for are prior evictions. If you don't have at least 6 months prior rent history, they might require you to have a co-signer.

Renting an apartment isn't difficult. You will want to check the place out a few different times, like once in the day time and once at night. I've had some really good experiences with apartments but the first one I moved into was a bit chaotic at night. Owners would get home with their dogs, let them run around, shit everywhere. Yes maintenance cleaned it up in the morning, but it was still a total nuisance. This was a nice gated community with three pools and was on a higher scale than most apartments. I also had a huge ant problem.

While I am talking about ants, they eat soap and are really hard to get rid of! Haha.

Go through the check off list of things that do not work thoroughly.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 6:49 PM on May. 2, 2011

• make sure everything in the apartment works!!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 6:41 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Lol. Is it hard to get considered though?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:41 PM on May. 2, 2011

• It's going to depend on the people or company renting it. I moved out on my 18th birthday, so I was 17 when I was apartment hunting. I found a place that was owned by a nice older couple who had no problem renting to me. Some people might not want to, if you don't have much credit yet.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:44 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Even if it's a small stain in the rug or a loose hinge, you need to write every single little bitty thing down. If you don't, they will charge you to repair it. And I mean open up cabinets, the fridge, etc. Turn on all of the appliances and make sure they work, run the dishwasher just for the hell of it, etc. Do every little thing.

I'd also call the police office in your area and verify if it's a safe apartment complex or not. You never know these days. During the day, they can look peaceful but come nightfall you never know what's lurking around.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 6:50 PM on May. 2, 2011

• If you are going to be putting in several applications with places that check your credit be aware that your credit ratings can go down when they are checked several time in a short period of time.
    Take pictures of everything in the apartment before you move in, include something that will mark that day...or have the landlord sign off on anything like a spot on the floor to stains on the wall. Be in complete agreement with the landlord about the condition of the apartment. Have repairs done before hand. Check all facets, drains, doors, windows and appliances. Inquire about the bills and what they run...heating and cooling. Some places have a time of year they shut off the cooling system.
    Make them write down what is or isn't included with the rent.
    Have a great time.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 6:53 PM on May. 2, 2011