When you get a haircut, WHO do you tip?

Someone asked on this board how much do you tip for a haircut, and I have a related question. I was told years ago that you DO NOT tip if the salon owner does your hair; that tipping is only for stylist/employees. In other words, the people not getting a cut of the gross receipts. Has anyone else ever heard this, or do you tipp the owner?

Whimsee

Asked by Whimsee at 6:47 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• You only tip the stylist that cuts your hair.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 6:48 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I only tip the stylist who did my hair and the lady who washes my hair.

Answer by older at 6:49 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I tip the hairwasher and the stylist.... owner or not.. if she was good she was good. (may tip less than I would a non-owner but... ) I figure appreciation is never wrong
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:50 PM on May. 2, 2011

• It's ok to tip the owner if she does your hair. They mean don't just tip the owner if she didn't perform the service :)
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 6:51 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I tip anyone who touches my hair. Stylist, washer, etc. even if it is the salon owner.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 6:52 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I usually don't tip a hair stylist. I guess it seems a bit rude, but unless they do a fantastic job with my hair (very few have) then they don't get a tip. The most I have ever tipped was 20 bucks because the lady thoroughly understood what I wanted and knew how to work with my hair type. Unfortunately, I can't go to her anymore as I live like 3,000 miles away! =(

My hair is very odd to work with. It's super wavy in the back, less waves up front, and is medium texture. They also don't understand how I want my bangs cut. If I say side swept bangs, they just usually give me wispy bangs and then take the brush and come them over. That doesn't work. That's not even how you cut side swept bangs. Shrug!
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 6:55 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Since she's the owner and the only one there I tip her.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:00 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I think it's acceptable to tip whomever you choose! It's an act of gratitude for a job well done. So, if you're feeling generous, tip away!!
    praying4baby985

Answer by praying4baby985 at 7:08 PM on May. 2, 2011

• If the owner cut my hair I tip.. She still has to pay for the salon bills and is obviously cutting hair because she needs the extra income. (if she didn't, she'd be behind the desk managing). Same goes for those that booth rent (basically they are their own owners)..

(trust me, as a stylists, the tips MATTER because soo many people would refuse to otherwise pay for what the cost of the service would be if people just up and stopped tipping)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:27 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Razelda: if you PM me I can talk with you about ways to talk to your stylist so they can't confuse your meaning for what you truly want so you'll always get the cut and style you want (minus the few bad stylists).. a lot of times people use terms that are outdated or used incorrect that confuse stylists (I learned this working with a lady in beauty school. she kept calling the look she wanted as feathered, when really it was a roller set she wanted done a certain way to give her a feathered front and curled back.)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:35 PM on May. 2, 2011