WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO OUR MILITARY?

Being in the military is a job, a great job protecting our nation. If we pull them out...what will they do...for a living, I mean? I am one of those who constantly give clothes and money to vets living on the streets. I feel they should get immediate jobs. Will this happen or will they be unemployed?

ladylovemm

Asked by ladylovemm at 6:54 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Just because Osama is dead does not mean that ever soldier & airman & seaman in Afpganistan & the rest of the Middle East is coming home this week. Oh, no. A figurehead is dead, that is all. The operation may have taken a hit, but Al-Queda is NOT dead.

As for soldiers being un-employed, it does happen, but for the most part they either have plenty of training for civilian jobs or, like my husband, already have one prior to retirement. He is a State employee and goes on orders when needed.

Yes, there are homeless vets, and it is a horrible horrible shame to this country. Hopefully that number will continue to shrink as our military progresses in treating injuries and mental health issues.
    irishcoffee

Answer by irishcoffee at 10:18 PM on May. 2, 2011

• are you serious? do you really not know that the military does a lot of other things besides fight in wars? why do you think we have all these posts and bases around the country... that is where they work... wow!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:59 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Not quite sure, I understand your question but I will try to answer as best as I can. For one, just because Bin Laden is dead, doesn't mean that we are pulling out. In fact, it probably means that we will have more work to do because we just pisses off a lot of al Quida. 2. We have a military during wars and during peace times. If we to pull out of Iraq and Afghanistan, sure there may be some cuts to the military but most of it will be to those who are retiring or want to get out. My husband got out of active duty after 4 years and had no problems finding a job.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:00 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Um they'll serve somewhere else instead. Whether or not they pull out has nothing to do with their active duty status. Now some may choose to get out as opposed to re-enlist and recruiter's might not push as hard to get people to join, but aside from that nothing is going to happen to them in terms of a "job" or their active duty status.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:02 PM on May. 2, 2011

• this is a silly question..

There is SO MUCH work for the military to do! They don't have to be at war to be busy & working....

Do you have any clue how many military bases we have OUTSIDE the US?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:23 PM on May. 2, 2011

• They'll still be in the military. Just because they are not fighting abroad doesn't mean that there is no military.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 6:56 PM on May. 2, 2011

• So you think that we need to stay at war so that people can have jobs? That's twisted.
    Imagine if we dedicated as much money to our infrastructure and education as we dedicate to killing people? Think of the change if we devoted as much money improving our own country as we have destroying other countries?
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 7:29 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Living in peace time doesn't mean that we don't have a standing military that doesn't get paid. They would serve state side (if our govt ever decided to get their head out of their ass and bring the troops home).
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 7:37 PM on May. 2, 2011

• LOL. OP are you 12 years old?
    people in the military are moving all the time, going to war,then coming back to a stateside base,then transfered to another in a few years. If they chose to leave, it will be to a civilian job that they have been trained to do or they might return to college ,using their GI Bill .....so many choices. It makes me wonder how you can NOT know anything about the military??Do you think they become street people?homeless? that is how you appear to think about the military. wow.My ex husband spent 21 yeas in the military and when he retired he became the auditor/controller for a large civilian hospital.
    Better get out there in the real world and LEARN.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 7:48 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Cripes! I can't beLIEVE how little some people actually know about our military. It doesn't matter where our soldiers are stationed or deployed, whether or not we are at war or enjoying peace ~ we have a full, mission capable, always training, always working military.

If every way in the world ended tomorrow, if we closed every oversea base, brought home all of our ships and planes, we would still have a military. You should be darned glad about that, because if we didn't, the day AFTER tomorrow we'd have every malcontent and a few countries to boot staging battle lines off our coasts.

I get the impression that one or two (at least) posting in this thread would get a warm fuzzy if that happened.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 7:50 PM on May. 2, 2011