Climbing out of the crib

My nine month old is starting to climb out of the crib(ok it's a play pen technically but it's where he sleeps). He's almost gotten out a few times even though the sides are mesh and the matress is almost floor level. The floor in our room is tile so if he falls it's gonna hurt.
What do you do when they start to climb out?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 7:10 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 9 months old is really young.. is it a mattress you put in or the flat pad that comes with it? if it's an inserted mattress i would go to using the pad.. otherwise I'm not sure.. cribs are designed to be lowered so kids don't climb out until a little older.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:15 PM on May. 2, 2011

• however i switched my dd to a toddler bed at about 14 months old (after she learned to walk and climb well)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:17 PM on May. 2, 2011

• yeah my son was 12 months when I switched him to a toddler bed. He slept better and did real good at staying in his bed at night. We put a gate at his bedroom door and had a baby monitor just incase. He only got out of bed a few times tho.
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 7:19 PM on May. 2, 2011

• My son started climbing out of the play pen early too. We just plain got rid of it. It took him quite a while longer to get out of his crib. When he could get out of his crib we took out the mattress and placed it on the floor. He learned how to stay in his bed this way and was at a safe height if he was to roll off. Soon after we bought him a twin bed. It's huge but he's just over two and can climb it and put his own covers on. Switching to putting the mattress on the floor was something I didn't like but it was definitely the best thing for him while we saved for a real bed.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 7:23 PM on May. 2, 2011

• 9 months is rather early, my daughter climbed out of her crib at 15 mths then we switched to a toddler bed. If you think he is too young for a toddler bed you may have to look at getting a bigger play pen with higher sides (if the one you have is small) or a conventional crib with longer sides.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 7:29 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Nine months old isn't too young for them to be climbing. My son was climbing before he crawled and before he walked. This was at seven-eight months old. Anyway ... To answer YOUR question. You can either purchase a crib or switch him to a toddler bed. No, he's not too young to be switching to a toddler bed. At nine months or at two years you're teaching him the same responsibilities of staying in bed when it's time to sleep, and how to properly get in and out. You need to decide which option is best for you and your child.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:45 PM on May. 2, 2011

• This didn't happen to me, but a friend of mine's son started to do the same thing around the same age. She went and bought a net cover designed specifically for the crib to prevent her son from climbing out. She said it worked great. Side note: her son was a very strong baby because she had to take steroids during her pregnancy to help his development. If it stopped him from getting out, I would think it would stop any baby. Good luck!
    ltmorton

Answer by ltmorton at 7:51 PM on May. 2, 2011