Should I or Close Family Throw my Shower?

I want a baby shower, first pregnancy and all that- I just want to celebrate it with friends and family, and to be VERY honest, I could really use the help right now in getting baby things because I have no idea where to start. I'm due late July, and since this is my third trimester, I'm starting to really thing about it.

My SIL offered to throw one for me, but she's (now) 8-9 hours drive away, and even after she offered she hasn't mentioned it since.

My question; is it tacky for me to throw my shower, or for close family? I kind of want two (not for the double gifts, but because its easier for my husband and I to move place to place than a huge group of people, because his family is 4-9hours away, depending on who we're talking about) showers, but I don't know how to go about it, or if I should even go there. I read that its considered tacky unless a friend throws it, who isn't related to you, but all of my friends attend college and work (and one has herself a 2yr old) and I think they're a bit too busy for me to bother them with my want for a shower....

If no one close to me offers, and if SIL's doesn't pan out, do I just not get one?
Can I ask someone to throw one for me/help me throw one/co-host?   

(I bolded the questions so you could find them easily within the background.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:15 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Throw one yourself if nobody else will throw one for you.
    If someone else wants to, then let them.

I don't find it tacky. It's should happen either way and if you have to throw a celebration yourself then so be it. It doesn't matter who throws the celebration, it just should be done. And yes SHOULD be done, because it's a celebration of parents and child.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:40 PM on May. 2, 2011

• all of my showers have been from family and i asked my mom to have me one this time around lol just mention to your family that you really want one but you don't think anyone is throwing you one and see what they say
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 7:19 PM on May. 2, 2011

• its usually either done by a friend or family member...I guess you could do like a party and combine it like a shower..Im not sure. Maybe express your feelings to your mom or someone close and see where it goes? Having 2 might be pushing it , in my opinion....if they're not close and don't want to travel where you are, then they would probably just send a gift or bring one when they come see you...it's kind of just for people that are friends and family and close...
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:19 PM on May. 2, 2011

• its not tacky and two sounds good! and yes you could ask someone to cohost
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 7:20 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I have never heard of it being tacky if a family member organizes it for you and that it has to be someone non related! I dont know the church I attended organised mine. They are normally organised by someone else for you and that person persons normally hosts it or organizes the place where it will be held, the whole point is that you dont worry about any of the organizing, your job is to just show up, I would take your SIL up on her offer and leave it at that, you may just have to have the 1 that she organizes, and sounds like you are willing to travel to where she is anyway.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 7:24 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I think it's tacky when you throw your own. Let someone throw it for you
    Anonymous

• close family first and then yourself.
    loleah

Answer by loleah at 8:55 PM on May. 2, 2011

• It is tacky if you do it yourself. You may as well just say... I am greedy come over and bring baby gifts. It is usually thrown by someone close to you. If no one offers, why not have a get together.... a welcome baby party and register and send out where you are registered then?
    Anonymous