Since when does justice = killing?

Just wondering. Last I looked Mr Webster's definition didn't mention killing at all. I think many people confuse justice with vengeance
jus·tice
   [juhs-tis] Show IPA
–noun
1.
the quality of being just; righteousness, equitableness, or moral rightness: to uphold the justice of a cause.
2.
rightfulness or lawfulness, as of a claim or title; justness of ground or reason: to complain with justice.
3.
the moral principle determining just conduct.

venge·ance
   [ven-juhns] Show IPA
–noun
1.
infliction of injury, harm, humiliation, or the like, on a person by another who has been harmed by that person; violent revenge: But have you the right to vengeance?
2.
an act or opportunity of inflicting such trouble: to take one's vengeance.
3.
the desire for revenge: a man full of vengeance.

adnilm

Asked by adnilm at 7:25 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think it was as much "revenge" as it was a safety precaution for millions of people around the world. Bin Laden was a threat to millions around the world.

if al queda is ever going to be brought down, it mist start from the top. Love, peace & smiley faces won't do anything to stop Bin Laden's ignorance & radical Islamic views. We had to kill the guy for the safety of the people.....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:30 PM on May. 2, 2011

• anyway, in that sense...i do believe justice was served...
    samurai_chica

• – collapse
    Be prepared for all of hicks that are going to say " you obviously don't know anyone in the war" or " are you not American".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:31 PM on May. 2, 2011 (hidden) + expand

>>>>
    why do you think it's either love, peace and smiley faces or death? You don't see the other options? You don't see the value in showing the world that we believe in the system that we've set up? In the long run it would behoove us to show true justice
    adnilm

Comment by adnilm (original poster) at 7:34 PM on May. 2, 2011

• You obviously don't know anything about war or you are not American.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:34 PM on May. 2, 2011

>>>
    Do Americans use a dictionary other than Webster's? I'd be happy to take a look at it if you can find it for me.
    And I did not realize that we were at war in Pakistan. silly me.
    adnilm

Comment by adnilm (original poster) at 7:38 PM on May. 2, 2011

• In War it's kill or be killed.
    War is not friendship, conversation, peace agreements, or otherwise. War is kill or be killed, period.
    In the Geneva Convention it states "When captured you must treat the prisoner nicely" (To paraphrase). He wasn't captured he was shot, so there is justice in that he is no longer a threat to our country.

If that's what you're refering to.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:38 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Be prepared for all of hicks that are going to say " you obviously don't know anyone in the war" or " are you not American".

Answer by Anonymous 3 minutes ago

I am not a hick but you, however, are a cowardly anon... He got what he deserved...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 7:38 PM on May. 2, 2011

• LOL @ Carpy and I want to say ditto to what Carpy said!!!!!
    Anonymous

• the only reason i said that is because of this post floating around facebook...

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that" - Martin Luther King, Jr.

I love MLK, but i do think Bin LAden should have been killed for the safety of our people....

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:38 PM on May. 2, 2011