My 10 month old daughter has been crying like crazy when I put her to bed. Any suggestions? She has never slept through the night and it is difficult to let her cry it out because she shares a room with her 4 year old brother. I am exhausted and don't know what to do!

ltmorton

Asked by ltmorton at 7:46 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do you have somewhere else you could put your 4 year old for a night or two, its normally all it takes, it sounds like thats what she needs.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 7:49 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I've tried that too. We had out son sleep in our bed for a couple nights. She still wakes up. I am still nursing part time and I thought if I stopped nursing at night and gave her a bottle instead when she woke up that would help-no luck. My son slept through the night starting at 6 weeks. I feel like this is my punishment for having such a good sleeper the first time around! lol
    ltmorton

Comment by ltmorton (original poster) at 7:53 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I agree with the above poster. Let your son fall asleep in your bed until you get her into the swing of things. Even though it sucks really bad to hear her cry, it only takes 2 or 3 nights to get through it. The first night is the worst. Of course if she didn't go to sleep this way tonight, then tomorrow becomes your first night.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:53 PM on May. 2, 2011

• What's in the bottle you gave her? I would just make it a bottle of room temp water. It will be SO boring to her that she'll stop waking up once she realizes that all she gets is boring old water.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:54 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Hmm. I think I may have to try it again. And she did go down tonight crying. I am now starting to think that I never actually let her cry herself completely back to sleep the last attempt. Do I just let her cry and not even go to the crib to rub her back/belly to try and soothe her? I feel like when I do that it actually makes her more upset. But then I fear if I DON'T go in, she is going to feel like she is completely alone and abandoned. I almost wish my son went through this so that I would know what to do instinctually and not feel like such a monster.
    ltmorton

Comment by ltmorton (original poster) at 7:57 PM on May. 2, 2011

• My oldest needed to cry it out. My youngest couldn't cry it out. So I found if I sat in there with my fingers in the crib at first and then right next to the crib and every night I moved father away. This way she did start crying but learned how to fall asleep without me touching her. In a week I could just lay her down.
    The 4 yo will most likely learn to sleep thought it. My nearly 6 yo and 3 yo share a room. The 6 yo doesn't wake up form the 3 crying or screaming.
    Can you put one of them in your room, until you 10 month old is sleeping better?
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 7:58 PM on May. 2, 2011

• oooooooohhh-warm water? That is a very interesting idea!!!!!!!!!!! Do you know anyone that has tried that before? Hmmm. Maybe I should try that tonight.
    ltmorton

Comment by ltmorton (original poster) at 7:58 PM on May. 2, 2011

• With my oldest it did make it worse to go in with her and she did better if I just let her be. When you show up the next morning she will know that you are still there for her. This is her first step to independence.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:04 PM on May. 2, 2011

• @Pigtails-that is good to know. Thank you. I know I have to let her gain a little independence from me because she is so attached. I can't even walk by a doorway without her crying if she notices that it is me. Thank you everyone! Here's hoping!!
    ltmorton

Comment by ltmorton (original poster) at 8:08 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I let my first son cry it out, by going in every 10 minutes to rub his back, but NEVER pick him up. By the 8th night he didn't even make a peep when I set him down, just grabbed his penguin, smiled and laid down. He was 9 months old at the time. We did move 3 months later and have to go through it again, but we waited a week for him to get used to the new place, and then he only cried for 2 nights.
    My second baby cried for over a half hour and I just couldn't take it, so I nurse him 'til he's sleepy (he usually pulls off and wiggles around, so I now he's full), then set him in his crib and sat in the rocking chair. He would get up and fuss or try to shake his crib. I just ignore it and tell him "It's bedtime buddy. Lay down." It took about a week before he would stay laying down and a week after that I set him down and walked out and he didn't make a sound. It took longer, but we still achieved our goal.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 8:09 PM on May. 2, 2011