Can anyone give me pointers on having a yard sale?

My husband & I are moving, we need to get a bit of extra money to help us out. I've never had a yard sale before.

MacisMommy91610

Asked by MacisMommy91610 at 8:03 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Money & Work

• The most important thing to remember is - the goal is to get rid of your stuff, don't get hung up on price. Sell Sell Sell the more you sell the less you have to pack and move.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:05 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Have help on that day and have plenty of small bills for change (plus coins if you have things priced that you will need coins for change). Make sure the doors to your house are locked.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 8:06 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Keep it simple!
    - Make pricing very clear and precise!
    -Have tables or groups of things that are all one price and put clearly printed signs.
    - Advertise in cragslist and throughout the area with signs.

Hope you make lots of $$
    praying4baby985

Answer by praying4baby985 at 8:07 PM on May. 2, 2011

• yeah what meooma said. Evey little bit helps right so it will all end up in the end. If you want hang some "yard sale" posters to bring more people, see them on road lots of times. You can also put them out ahead of time with the date and time. I know some people who love yard sales and look forward to them. Good luck
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 8:08 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Price everything visibly.
    Price to sell, you'll make more money that way. Remember, people want a bargain.
    Have things organized clearly, not just thrown around.
    Hang clothes if possible. People dont' like to dig around a bunch, especially if they're not organized by size, gender, etc.
    Avoid putting things on the ground when you can; use tables, boxes, bookshelves, etc. Some people won't/can't bend down to look through stuff (older people, people with disabilities, pregnant women).
    Have a free box and toss anything in it that isn't worth more than a quarter.
    Make sure thigns are clean.
    Have good signage.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 8:08 PM on May. 2, 2011

• i am an avid yard saler and sherripie covered most of the things i dislike about some peoples sales. all i would add would be to make sure animals are kept in the house.

definitely advertise in your local paper and craigslist and put up signs on the main road and other ones along the route to your house from it.

another good idea that if your children are older bake up some stuff and make lemonade and have them sell them independently. this will make you a ton of extra money all mostly profit. people love to buy treats from kids and yardsaleing is hungry work lol.

ibebreezy

Answer by ibebreezy at 8:19 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Thank you all for the advice. I've honestly learned a lot, I'm new to all of this. My husband & I have only been married for a little over a year & yes I am young so I am trying to get the hang of things on my own but with a little bit of help/advice. Again, thank you =]
    MacisMommy91610

Comment by MacisMommy91610 (original poster) at 8:27 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Besides the excellent advice given, see if your neighbors want to have a sale at the same time. This draws in more buyers. When advertising put a rain date on the ad. At a certain point if you really want to get rid of things cut the prices, (like at 2 on Saturday with a Friday night Saturday early morning sale $5 bags for clothes or half price on furniture). Decide if your "7 am" start time is firm. If you don't want early birds indicate that. Base your hours on what other neighborhood sales list. If everyone else starts at 7 and you list 10, you'll miss alot of business. Set aside plastic grocery bags and newspapers to wrap things in. Hope this helps.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 9:03 AM on May. 4, 2011