Anyone else done this

I took the computer privileges away from my two younger boys ages 9 and 12, they continually disobey me and don't bring their school work home,they always have an excuse for why they don't do their work. I had testing,my teacher says I don't have work. I'm so tired of being the homework monster and being a broken record. I have enough crap to deal with.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:29 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• of course they need to see thatthay cant do it like that anymore. They need some kind of punishment or else they will do whatever they want to.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 8:33 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I'm wondering if it's too late to get them tested for adhd and add they should be able to remember to bring their school work home. They are too busy fighting with me all the time. I really am feeling so stressed out right now. My 6th grader calls his teacher a bitch all the time and say's he's gonna kill her and he doesn't care.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:34 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Yeah, I have a new rule. Do your homework at the table and then u can watch tv and use the computer. When I get a progress report, if there is a single missing assignment there is no computer, cellphone, or tv for a month. It works real nice.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 8:34 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I've done it. Over the years, I've also taken away the Play Station, the cell phone, and even the keys to HIS car. Whipped him into shape pretty fast too. You have to hit 'em where it hurts.
    Anonymous

• they seem to have some problems, no kid should say thiese things about a teacher, about anyone! Talk to there doctor about it. But some kids go thru a face and just forget to bring the homework to avoid doing it. If they dont respect you there needs to be consequences.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 8:36 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I'm about ready to just hold him back and prove to him I mean business.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:46 PM on May. 2, 2011

• do what you gotta mama! go you for taking the computer. maybe they need everything taken away! kids dont need entertainment like video games and crap. let them come home and do homework and study and read for fun!
    if theyre acting out see if there is a behavoiral interventionist within your district or school that can help put them on a behavoiral plan, those are great because those people study behavoir and are certified to diagnose kids with things like adhd.
    research that possibility because if they have a behavoir disorder or anythign it will be hard for them to change even with punishment.
    but definitely continue consistantly with your punishments, they'll pay off! good luck!
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 9:56 PM on May. 2, 2011

• my son is 9 years old and does this same exact thing with me and I am tired of it also; I have told him we don't allow or appreciate lying about things or how much he has read or done(he has required reading that he has to do and then takes tests to get points and has to have a certain amount of points by the end of the year or not pass--he claims that he reads between 140 and 160 minutes a day and we know he doesn't or he would have alot more reading and tests done)

So what we have been doing is when he gets home the TV is off the computer is off(unless needed for homework) and he has to sit at the dining room table and do his reading and whatever else homework he has and then we eat dinner and he finishes whatever needs to be finished and then if there is time after that before bedtime he can watch TV. It is a battle every night but stick with the routine and the outcome with be in your favor. Good Luck and God Bless
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:41 AM on May. 3, 2011

• another thing we have done and it works is every time he lies about something we deduct a certain amount from his allowance.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:46 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Of course! You have to be consistent and let them know that homework takes priority over fun.

I also would not let them mouth off about the teacher. Of course they don't like the teacher if their homework is not being done, I'm sure the teacher isn't happy. But you can't let them disrespect the teacher. At some point they will work for a boss they don't like and if they mouth off, they will be fired.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 10:31 PM on May. 5, 2011