Check for Autism?

My DD is about to turn 3 and doesnt talk on her own. She's very capable of learning and soaks up everything. She's in speech therapy at day care and will start school in Sept. I have the paperwork for a developmental pediatrician, but I'm a little skeptical. She's trying to talk but i wanna check all my bases...

Ex. She knows what a dog is and what sound it makes but has trouble understanding that its an animal like a pig or horse

Am i paranoid?

Zarviemom19

Asked by Zarviemom19 at 8:35 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No, you are not paranoid. Better to nip this now than when she is 16!
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 8:55 PM on May. 2, 2011

• get the assessment done now.....that way youy can still get the ABA therapy...they stop after age 3 but the early intervention help is still available in some states....get her the help now, autism is harder to diagnos in girls, its rarer and she will do so much better in school if you start her help/therapys now...
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 9:56 PM on May. 2, 2011