Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does it make sense for you to lose your mucus plug after being checked for dilation/effacement?

I mean, aren't they sticking their finger right through the spot where the mucus plug is supposed to be? I was only 1cm dilated and 40% effaced, I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

Answer Question
 
ours

Asked by ours at 9:21 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Pregnancy

Level 13 (949 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • Yes, getting checked can interfere with the whole thing, it can cause cramps, pain, bleeding and mucus plug loss. AND, it can introduce bacteria into the vagina. They also don't tell you a thing. I wouldn't let them check me at all.
    BradenIsMySon

    Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:24 PM on May. 2, 2011

  • I'm almost 40 weeks, they were only checking to see if it would be a good idea to induce or not. I'm not a huge fan of checking either! On my birth plan I have it stated that I don't want to be rushed or have unnecessary checks done. I'll know when it's time to push.
    ours

    Comment by ours (original poster) at 9:29 PM on May. 2, 2011

  • I wouldn't even risk induction unless there is a REALLY good medical reason. Or you go to like 42 weeks and baby isn't taking it well.
    BradenIsMySon

    Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:41 PM on May. 2, 2011

  • We were considering induction because of my husband's demanding work schedule. Yes, not the best reason, but I have a 2 1/2 year old and am honestly really scared of having to do everything by myself for the first week. We were considering induction at 40 weeks if I hadn't gone on my own just so I had my husband's help in the beginning. None of that matters though since we won't be doing it now. We don't want to risk me having a repeat c-section because of inducing before my body really feels it's ready.
    ours

    Comment by ours (original poster) at 9:57 PM on May. 2, 2011

  • OK..makes sense.

    BradenIsMySon

    Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:59 PM on May. 2, 2011

  • I was going back and forth with letting them do it either way, but now that I know the option is completely off the table, I have to admit I'm a little bummed. Oh well though. Hears hoping she doesn't make us wait TOO long. :]
    ours

    Comment by ours (original poster) at 10:01 PM on May. 2, 2011

  • LOL...I hope it all works out great for you.
    BradenIsMySon

    Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:24 PM on May. 2, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.