• In the Spotlight:

Child cries all the time HELP!!

ok, I have a 3 and half year old that on majority of day she cries and whines and ever cries when she is asleep. even when she is wel rested. she also argues things like are obvious "your face/shirt is dirty or so will say im done, i ate it all and hasnt touched a bit and if you say no, u may not want anymore but the food is still on ur plate and she will still argue that is is gone. you will see her do something and she will still say she didnt. I know kids argue and whine at 3 but i feel like she truly believes that what she is arguing is true. she will cry and whine in her sleep and argue that her dreams were real. she has a very good vocabulary (been noticed by everyone, including teachers) she is smart for 3.
i cant deal with the crying and arguing and her crying in her sleep wakes me up at night.
i have generalized anxiety disorder, o.c.d ptsd and a mood disorder and im wonering if she has some issues that need to be addressed or if its just normal. when she turned 18 months (?)she done this EVERYDAY for a yr and a half. any suggestions?

VDietrich

Asked by VDietrich at 9:23 PM on May. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• I thought i answered your question but it didn't come up. ? Hmm. So here goes, again: Three year olds can be moody and argumentative, but your daughter sounds rather extreme. I'd suggest you certainly ask your ped or GP about getting her assessed, especailly given that there is a family history of mood and emotional disorders, as they can be inherited. So the sooner you can get her assessed the better, as early understanding and intervention can make a huge difference in her social development. Little kids should be carefree, happy, laughing and smiling, enjoying their childhood.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 9:28 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I'd mention it to a doc and/or see a child counselor for further assesment and help.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 9:40 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I ALSO POSTED THIS QUESTION IN PRESCHOOL CATIGORY AS WELL
    VDietrich

Comment by VDietrich (original poster) at 9:25 PM on May. 2, 2011

• That doesn't sound normal. Yes they cry and argue at that age but it does sound like she truly believes what she is saying to be true. I would get her evaluated since you do have these disorders. It's better to get her evaluated and have it be nothing than ignore it and have it be something. And if it is something, it will only escalate the longer it takes for it to be recognized and treated.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 9:28 PM on May. 2, 2011

• OH maybe I answered it in the other category. :)
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 9:29 PM on May. 2, 2011

• JUDIMARY, I DID GET UR COMMENT..LOL I JUST WANTED MORE OPINIONS TOO...LOL THANKS SO MUCH
    VDietrich

Comment by VDietrich (original poster) at 9:32 PM on May. 2, 2011

• THANKS MOMMIES, IM GONNA START WRITING STUFF DOWN AND GONNA SEE ABOUT TALKING TO HER MD. I HAVE A 5YR OLD WITH NIGHT TERRORS AND THE NORMAL ANXIETIES TOO BUT DOC ISNT WORRIED AND AFRAID SHE WONT LOOK FARTHER INTO MY 3YR OLD
    VDietrich

Comment by VDietrich (original poster) at 9:34 PM on May. 2, 2011

• If your doc isn't looking into your concerns then don't be afraid to get a 2nd opinion. Three year olds aren't easy but sometimes as Moms we just feel when something is off and it's usually best to trust our instincts.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 9:52 PM on May. 2, 2011