What do you do?

When you tell your children to do something and they just don't do it? Act just like they didn't hear you tell them to do something. Well my daughter, 8 yrs old, has been in the tub for a while now and I have nicely asked her to wash up and get out about 5 times. I go in there and she is still just playing and swimming around like I didn't tell her 5 times to wash herself and get out. What are some suggestions? This happens often and I am tired. I really don't want to go the route of spanking.

JayRo00

Asked by JayRo00 at 9:42 PM on May. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• Tell her again, and stand there. If she doesn't get out, then get her out yourself. That's really all I can say. Sorry I couldn't be much help.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 9:47 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Maybe tomorrow get a little timer. Set it at the beginning of her bath for however much play time she has and then when it goes off reset it for 5 minutes to wash up and finish the bath. Tell her that if she isn't finished when it goes off for the 2nd time that she loses a privilege or gets whatever punishment you decide. I would take away something she likes for the next day, like tv time or game time. Just tell her before what the new rules are and calmly and consistently enforce them. She might test you a few times before realizing you mean business. Whatever privilege she loses has to be something she will really miss and not want to do without on a regular basis. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 9:48 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I have the same problem!! I am thinking when she doesn't abide by what is said make her take a timed shower.
    amberpatterson

Answer by amberpatterson at 9:53 PM on May. 2, 2011

• No more baths, showers only. That's how we solved it.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:59 PM on May. 2, 2011

• If she didn't do it the first time, I would be standing in there while she washed, then escorted her out of the tub then after she was dried and in her pj, she would be scrubbing a wall, or a kitchen chair, or anything.

That's how we do it in my house, waste my time by disobeying, I waste yours by making you do chores.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:44 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Tell her she has a choice - she can listen the first time you ask or she can expect to get an unpleasant consequence. If I ask one of my kids to do something and they don't, they get tv, computer time, or something else taken away. And the next time the ask me to do something for them (like get them a particular snack from the store), I won't do it. Later, I'll say "It doesn't feel very good to be ignored, does it?"
    cege

Answer by cege at 12:04 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Stand there pull the plug take out the toys and tell her she better be washed and rinsed before the water leaves.
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 9:53 AM on May. 3, 2011