People with breeding connections in PA

I am looking for reputable breeders for these two breeds. Hubby wants a St. Bernard and I want a Doberman. We are finally moving into a house and DH promised I could get a pair of furry babies once we got our own home. (we've been renting for a long time.) I am having trouble finding any online other than in the newspaper or other classifieds which aren't always the best way to go. I would rather get them from a private breeder whom I can visit first to ensure genetic health, temperament and that they are going to be worth the money.

MamaStuart

Asked by MamaStuart at 9:52 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Pets

• There are rescue groups for both breeds. They will have puppies, give them a chance. You can google them in your area.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:01 PM on May. 2, 2011

• My brother got his saint bernard from a breed rescue. She is the sweetest most loving dog. There are many great breed rescues around. If you are going to go through a breeder make sure you ask plenty of questions.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=302 this site give you some ideas of what to ask

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:36 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I agree with checking for breed rescues. Otherwise, the akc website has a link for locating breeders, but be sure to review the info KyliesMom gave. Just because the breeder is listed on a reputable resource doesn't mean the breeder will be reputable! Good luck!
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 12:42 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I am aware of the rescues and I admire their work. However, I personally prefer to buy from a breeder whom I can remain in contact with and who can potentially be a mentor for show, agility or even rescue training.
    MamaStuart

Comment by MamaStuart (original poster) at 2:14 PM on May. 3, 2011