Why do we need Process Servers?

im watching a show on TruTV called "All Worked Up" and a few of the segments are about Process Servers. it seems like such a dangerous and pointless job! the people he tries to serve are extremely defensive and stupid, half the time they throw the papers right back at him. so yea, he marks down that they didn't take the paper but we're no further in getting this person to court than we were before. why can't they just mail them the papers, and if the person doesn't show up, send a sheriff or somebody in authority over there?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 9:59 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Money & Work

• Its a legal thing--this way there is an official witness to the fact that they were given the papers. Whether they read them or throw them away is immaterial. This way the person can't deny that they were informed of the action. Certified mail hasn't been recognized as a suitable substitute for process serving.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 10:03 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I gues it's to hold someone accountable for whether or not a delivery occured...but you're right, there's certified mail, too.
    lizi.clawson

Answer by lizi.clawson at 10:01 PM on May. 2, 2011

• When I file on someone, I have the option of using the sheriff or a process servier. I use the sheriff.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:12 PM on May. 2, 2011