What shows do you think promotions teens getting pregnancies? Teen Mom or Secret Life of American Teenager?

bmwlover

Asked by bmwlover at 10:11 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Entertainment

• both of them
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 10:12 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Do you mean "PROMOTE teen pregnany"??? They both do.
    A bunch of young, silly teens watching those shows probably think it would be "cute" to be pregnant. And that they can use their Mom and Dad to babysit when they want to go out and party. and that THEIR boyfriend would never leave them,...even tho things rarely work out on the TV shows.
    I don't think they are actually being raised by their parents anymore.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:16 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I think 16 and pregnant and teen mom more so than secret life.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 10:31 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I think for some it might actually scare them and realize their not ready to grow up and be a mommy. Others im sure take it the wrong way, and think its no big deal. Im writing a book geared toward 16 and pregnant and my problems during my pegnancy. I had seizures only during pregnancy. Very scary and risky.
    Devotedmom21

Answer by Devotedmom21 at 10:53 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I don't know. I don't think the shows like teen mom, 16 and pg, etc (the reality shows, not the "teen drama" Secret Life") so much PROMOTE it as EXPLOIT it...

When I was in high school (a long time ago), I had a very good friend who, several times over the yrs, thought she was "in love" and he was "the one" and she wanted to get pg, have a baby, they would be a happy family, etc. I talked her out of trying to get pg, or, at the least, not just "letting nature take it's course, if I get pg, I get pg". I think, if these shows had been around then, she would have been all over it, wanting to get pg, have her baby, and be on the show for her "15 minutes of fame"

I also know though that having watched those shows with my own teens (boy and a girl, though mostly with my dd and sometimes her and her friends), that they watch it and are appalled by how stupid these girls act and are in their lives,

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:18 PM on May. 2, 2011

• cont

And how it makes them even more determined to NOT go down that path and "screw up their lives like that" having a baby they aren't ready for. Some of them (dd and some of her friends) were already very much of the opinion of "not having a baby before we're ready" (some, no sex and some, use b.c. - yes, I know this... I'm one of those moms that they seem to want to confide in, which is a good thing, but, sometimes I think - don't say though - tmi...) Some were kind of like, yeah, yeah, no kids, but weren't really all that concerned or take it seriously, then they watch this stuff and follow these girls as they deal with this, and they become like "Nope - no way, no how - SO not going down that road".

So, that's a good thing. I think though it really pretty much comes down to just re-enforcing whatever the teen girls were leaning towards, and exploiting the girls on the show for ratings / profit.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:22 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I think you are right sailorwifenmom. It would reinforce my belief that having a baby as an unmarried teen would be a total disaster...and that was why I never had sex when I was a teen. And I knew a girl who was a freshman in college when I was too, who wanted a boyfriend and a baby because she felt she had nothing to look forward to.
    The idea that these people WANT thier lives on TV......and the producers of the shows USE them...it does seem to be exploitive . And I think it is really offensive. whenever they invade the personal lives of people ,it seems wrong. And obviously they can't be too smart if the allow them to use their personal lives for a TV show. Its just so offensive.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:44 AM on May. 3, 2011