Doggy ???

Ok so, money is very tight right now and instead of buying the usual 3 month supply of frontline for my dog at about $55 bucks I found this other stuff called Hartz Ultra Gaurd Plus (3 month supply as well) but for $5.99! Anyone ever use this stuff and does it work?!

PANZONSMOM

Asked by PANZONSMOM at 10:24 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Pets

• do not use hartz!!!! many animals have had sezuires due to this brand.
    cnv13085

Answer by cnv13085 at 10:43 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Hartz is crap. No it doesn't work well and there have been cases of the cheaper brands causing harm to animals.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:43 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Ditto.. if you wanna go cheap, then use a flea and tick spray that uses pyrethrins... like Ovitrol...
    tnunley

Answer by tnunley at 10:53 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Alrighty, nuff said, I will return it and not use it on my doggy! Thanx ladies!
    PANZONSMOM

Comment by PANZONSMOM (original poster) at 10:57 PM on May. 2, 2011

• One product that is natural and cheaper is Diatomatious Earth. You MUST use food grade. But it kills fleas and other insects. Its a powder you can put on animals and even feed it to them to kill worms. Here's a website with info about it. Only downside is that it washes off with water, and for long haired dogs it can make their skin/fur a bit dry.

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:04 PM on May. 2, 2011

• if you use anything with pyrethrins and have a cat, make sure you seperate the dog and cat (especially if the cat grooms the dog) untill the spot on the dog is completely dry. that chemical is very deadly to cats
    cnv13085

Answer by cnv13085 at 11:08 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I do not at all promote Hartz, but I do understand being low on cash. I will say that I have a friend who buys Hartz and her dogs do not have problems. Good luck!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:59 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Throw that crap away immediatly!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is cheap for a reason not only does it not work but it is dangerous to use on animals. I realize they have been seeling this crap in te pet stores for years but it has also killed many animals or at the very least cause neurological damage. If you want to save money ask your vet if they sell the frontline in individual tubes. Many vets do this, it means of course you have to go back each month but at least you won't have to worry about your pet getting sick or dieing.

http://www.hartzvictims.org/2011/04/23/bad-hartz/

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:25 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Do you have a costco membership? I *believe* they had 3 months of frontline for $36.

Yes, Hartz is useless.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:19 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I've always used Hartz on my dogs and never had a problem, BUT I don't use it every month...only if I see fleas/ticks. Luckily, we've never really had a flea/tick problem. My dogs are 3 & 5 and I MIGHT have used it 3-4 times on each of them. I brush them often and check them for fleas/ticks. They are also on a high quality diet which gives them a healthier/stronger immune system...parasites such as fleas/ticks are more attracted to animals with weak immune systems.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 11:53 AM on May. 3, 2011