What is the big deal about sulfate free/silicone free/SLS free, etc for shampoo/conditioners.

I am in search of the perfect shampoo or shampoos and conditioners if it ends up being a combo of one that is moisturzing and one clarifying. I hear a lot of sulfate free/silicone free/SLS free, etc so that's what I've been trying to stick with but it seems there are so many to choose from and everyone has a different opinion on those and ones that contain the chemicals.

huntin_mama

Asked by huntin_mama at 10:58 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• Sulfates have been thought to remove things from the hair that should stay. It also fades color. It's been linked to hair loss, and sulfates are also bad for the environment. SLS isn't silicone, is a sulfuric property. Silicones are not bad for hair, actually quite beneficial, and coat and protect the hair. But they only use certain types of silicones. I took a product knowledge class on this very subject while managing for Regis.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:01 AM on May. 3, 2011

• It's also the main ingredient in Dove, Herbal Essences, Pantene, Suave, Tresseme, and VO5.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:17 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Nothing that I know of. I managed a trendy salon last year. I used most everything on the shelf. I bleach my hair and I use heating tools almost every day. The best thing out there is the oils. Enjoy Hair and Skin Treatment Oil and CHI Silk Infusion, as far as I am concerned. And I prefer Enjoy because it's weightless, whereas CHI can weigh your hair down. My favorite line of shampoos are the Redken line. LOVE THEM!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:45 PM on May. 2, 2011

• SLS is the same product that is used on garage floors as a degreaser. It is what causes soaps and shampoos to "foam up". It is highly toxic and commonly contaminated with dioxane (a known carcinogenic). It is used because it is cheap as hell.

Any toxic chemicals that come into contact with skin/scalp will enter your bloodstream through the skin. Why WOULD you want to put anything containing these petrochemicals and such on yourself? They act as endocrine disruptors once in the body.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:11 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I use products with the least amount of alcohol in them too it will dry your hair big time if you aren't good to your hair it is a regret. Ingredient wise when you read the label what is at the top of the list it has the most of
    djavongirl

Answer by djavongirl at 12:44 PM on Jun. 18, 2011