Anyone want to share their worst Christmas memories?

Sometimes it is just as important to talk about the bad as it is the good. So I'll go first. In 1998, I was still living at home with my parents, along with two of my sisters, and my neice. It was about 10:30 on Christmas Eve, when I discovered our house had caught on fire. (My sister left a candle burning, it fell over onto her bed). Everyone made it out of the house, but we were basically homeless for the next 8 months, while my parents tried to rebuild.

Two years later, in 2000, a week before Christmas my dad fell out of a tree while trying to hang Christmas lights. He broke his back, and spent Christmas in the hospital. He still has many problems related to this, but it could have been much worse.

For a while we thought our family was cursed, and every other year on Christmas we were waiting for something bad to happen. I'm happy to say the last 7 years have gone pretty smoothly.

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 1:57 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Holidays

• I had one truly AWFUL Christmas but it's actually kind of a funny story so I'll share.

I was right out of high school, living with this total looser and had pretty much realized that this was not the right guy and should move on. But, I couldn't really afford the rent on my own if I kicked him out and there were other complications so we were giving it one last go. We went and got our tree and spent all night decorating it and it was just sweet and romantic....until his friends showed up.

Everyone started drinking and they got out of control so I asked everyone to leave, it ended very, very badly with me locked in my bedroom hiding with a busted eye. The next morning I came out to see if he was still there, he had sobered up but claimed he didn't remember anything from the night before.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 2:05 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I told him he had to leave, immediately so he smashed all of his stuff in the front yard and was standing by the door when he reached down to unplug the tree, then he stands there staring at me with the cord in hand all dramatically until I finally ask WHY he unplugged the tree. Then he says very soap opera-ish "because the lights were already out anyway." That just put me over the edge laughing at him, and when he realized it had not had he intended effect he drug the entire tree into the front yard, punched it around a bit and peed on it. Then it fell on top of him and he couldn't get out from under it (this was a really big tree). I still laugh when I think about him squirming around, with his pants about his ankles, in a foot of snow and trying to get out from under a pee-soaked Christmas tree.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 2:06 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Well, mine's not that bad, kind of funny really. The girls were around 8 and 4. They had received Barbies for Christmas that year. We had this extremely STUPID dog. Anyway, the girls' Barbies were all over the living room and we had to go over to my moms for dinner. Someone went out the garage door and didn't close it all the way. My daughter had gone back home later on and found the dog in the house with chewed off Barbie hands, feet and dog poo all over the house. Thank God she didn't get too upset. We had to go out the next day and replace all the murdered Barbie Dolls!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 2:06 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Those poor Barbies! lol, I think my husband would have strangled the dog on the spot.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 2:28 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• the christmas after my grandma died and my grandpa just insisted on being at my dad's house but sitting in the corner and crying and refusing to let us hug or comfort him... i was like 25, really sucked! also my son's first christmas so some of it was good (when we were with my family) but the baby would have been my gma's first great grandchild that she never got to see because she didnt visit him in the nicu and my grpa didnt want to see him or anything... that was the worst for me.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:36 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• That would be pretty funny seeing him in the yard, under a pee soaked tree. And I would be pretty upset about the barbies too, those things get expensive.

The year we had the fire, the flames were contained to two rooms, but the smoke and water damaged the rest of the house. Our Christmas tree was on the other side of the house, and all the presents were wrapped. My sisters and I were able to unwrap them at the hotel (set up for us by the Red Cross, Thank You!!), but we couldn't touch anything inside them, as our hands were covered in soot and ash. I have a very vivid memory of my sister and I jumping on our hotel room bed because we were the Top Story on the 6 oclock news, Christmas day, for every local news channel.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 2:46 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Uh well this is pretty bad & I sometimes get depressed around the holidays....b/c I was raped christmas 1999.It was my cousins husband,he kept wanting it & I kept saying no,but he didnt listen...for a long time I thought it was my fault b/c I used to flirt with him a lot.But I said no to sex!!!
    Anonymous

• Wow anon, that is pretty bad. I'm sorry that happened to you, and that you still get depressed about it. I hope you know it was not your fault, and I hope you have been able to move passed that horrific episode, and onto a better life.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 4:09 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Pretty much every holiday I had growing up was made miserable by my mother who would routinely call me names, belittle me, etc...when I finally moved out to be with my father in high school I realized that her behavior wasn't "normal" and once that stress was gone I was a completely different person because a huge weight had been lifted. My daughter will have WONDERFUL holidays. I look forward to making it "magic" for her...something she can really look forward to.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 5:25 PM on Dec. 4, 2008