What is the best way to establish a suitible routine for a toddler when every day life brings you something very different than the day before?

I have a schedule that I'm trying to keep my daughter on so that her naps and feeding times are predictable. But it always seems that life keeps getting in the way. Any suggestions?

photojoy

Asked by photojoy at 11:37 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Rearrange life. If it is that important to you then life can wait sometimes. I work around family functions or invites b/c my DD needs to sleep or the rest of us will be miserable. I have a friend who's boyfriend was giving me such a hard time last summer b/c my DD's schedule is so rigid when it comes to meals and sleeping, but this is the schedule that my child established and all I was doing was following it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:41 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Well when you find the answer let me know too haha! My daughter is 18 Months and I try to keep her on a tight schedule also but it rarely works in my favor! I have been freezing her some home made meals for when we are on the go and I bring a "to go" bag with napkins colapsable spoon ect. So at least I know she will have a healthy meal around the same time everyday!
    CrystalAllison

Answer by CrystalAllison at 11:46 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I have never been one for strict routine, but I did never the less have a routine for feeding and naps, I think its important for babies and toddlers and sometimes everything else has to take a back seat.......feeding is a bit easier as you can stop and feed wherever you are and whatever your doing, but nap time is naptime and I either made sure I was at home at this time or somewhere were she could go down, eg my MIL's.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 12:22 AM on May. 3, 2011

• My kids have always had a fairly predictable routine. I schedule all of my appointments, get togethers, playdates, etc. around it. Naptimes are more important to me than mealtimes because we can always eat out, but I make sure we are either at home or grandparents house at afternoon naptime. I plan the rest of the day around my little ones naptime (thankfully, they both nap at the same time!)

Answer by missanc at 8:57 AM on May. 3, 2011

• yes give her bath relax her every night or play games at certain time no matter what happens
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 5:23 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I established a routine for my daughter since she was 3 months old. I follow it regardless of what goes on and shen she's babysat I request for her routine to be followed.
    xnegritalindax

Answer by xnegritalindax at 8:26 AM on May. 7, 2011