Why do non-religious ppl baptize their kids?

I don't mean to judge, but my husbands friends have felony records, drinking problems, marital issues, I mean... they are a group of moral mush. They don't HAVE any lines.... and yet here recently I see them posting pictures of their newest children (none of them married) at baptisms. Why? Can someone give me some insight?

I mean, doesn't the pastor/priest go through what baptism MEANS to these people? Is it some kind of "mom said I have to baptize her grandbaby" or "idk... everyone else was doing it..." like... I just don't get it. I honestly want to know- not trying to hate on you for not being a strict follower of your faith, but why even bother baptizing your kid if you don't plan to raise them in that faith?

livn4hevn

Asked by livn4hevn at 12:46 AM on May. 3, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Do they consider themselves as following a certain religion? Baptist, methodist, or whatever?
    I don't get it.

I am atheist and neither of my children are baptised.
    bemomkec

Answer by bemomkec at 12:54 AM on May. 3, 2011

• You don't mean to judge? Really? Let's be honest....thats exactly what you meant to be.
    What do you care what they do. Their spiritual lives are between them and their god should they choose to believe in him.
    Your post doesn't sound too "religious" or spiritual to me.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:29 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Tradition
    Family pressure
    Just feel its what needs to be done even if they arent goers.

I imagine that is some of the main ones. In truth tho, why does it matter?? Its their decision and their right...if the priest dudes dont like it they can stop it.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:56 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Just because they may have felonies, a rough past, drink or live differently to yourself doesnt mean they may not believe in God, not everyone goes to Church every week. I know non religious people they consider themselves catholic but dont practise, they have clean record criminal checks etc most of them all decide to baptize. Would you notice it as much if these people lived what you considered a straight and narrow lifestyle?
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 1:43 AM on May. 3, 2011

• OP- it simply means believing. What someone believes and what they practice are two entirely different things. Religious belief is ingrained in our society, even if it is not practiced.
    Regardless of how I feel about it, it's no one's business but theirs if they decide to dunk or sprinkle their kids.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:29 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I suggest you buy a dictionary.

religious- of, pertaining to, or concerned with religion

religion- a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe especially when considered the creation of super human agency
    a body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs or practices
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:31 AM on May. 3, 2011

• These people do it to follow the rest, so if there is a chance that what they preach is right, their children will also be included, why does it bother you?

Answer by older at 7:34 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I think it's just a form of "security"....a "just in case" thing to do to protect their kids frmo going to hell, if there is one. I think it's pretty hypocritical = /
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 10:21 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I did it to please my mom, grandmother, and in laws. It got them to shut up. Plus it is only water. I am raising my children to understand all religions so they can choose the one they want to follow.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:21 AM on May. 3, 2011

• OP did you ever consider that there are more parts of that child's family than the ones you know?
    Maybe they are encouraging this. But non the less it is up to them and their Church not you to decide or
    judge wither or not they are morally right to do so...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:00 PM on May. 3, 2011