how long with an ectopic pregnancy...? pioc

Does anyone know or have experience, how long does it take for an ectopic pregnancy to create discomfort for the woman? How far along before you start to experience the pain? If you have a tubal pregnancy does it show up as positive on a home pregnancy test? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

PROGENITOR

Asked by PROGENITOR at 2:03 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• Yes, a tubal might show up on HPT, but only once your hormone levels are in the tests range- some get results earlier (less hormone needed) than others. With my ectopic, I had a very faint line that didn't get much darker over a week... that was my first clue, I was 4 days late. (your hormone levels rise slower with an ectopic, so it may take you a while to get a positive result). I also didn't feel any of the usual pregnancy symptoms, probably because my hormone level was so low. My doctors were cautious, but not concerned that it would rupture because we caught it early, and the low hormones indicated the pregnancy was small- ultrasound confirmed. Some women don't feel pain until it ruptures, and some have a horrible pain until it ruptures. The doc did tell me that women usually don't rupture until they are around 7/8 weeks, but if you are concerned, by all means go get an ultrasound or HCG levels done.
    mileymoo

Answer by mileymoo at 3:05 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I was about 3 days late when I tested positive. But, it was an obvious positive. I was six weeks pregnant when I went in for the pain and they did an ultrasound and it was determined it was tubal pregnancy. My aunt was 12 weeks when her tubal ruptured. Sorry to say this, but she nearly died, however that was also 20 years ago and medical advances have gone so far since then!
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:25 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• There is actually a group on here for women that have suffered ectopic pregnancies. I am in the group so you can go to my page and find it under my groups if you would be interested in joining the group. I was three weeks along when my tube ruptured. I hadn't felt any pain before that. I actually had my period like normal a week earlier. So I didn't know that I was pregnant. The ER did a pregnancy test and confirmed that I was pregnant and then they did an US. If you start to have bleeding and pain, get to the ER or your Dr.
    kristyrea

Answer by kristyrea at 5:23 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• My first ectopic was Aug. 24, 07- my right tube reptured, i was 8 1/2 weeks, then my second ectopic was Nov. 18, 08 and had to have my left tube removed cause it was so badly damaged from it, i was 7 weeks. On both pregnancy i tested positive for pregnancy at 4 weeks.
    ffwife48

Answer by ffwife48 at 12:14 AM on Dec. 5, 2008