Does anyone know... I am recently divorced and I am wondering if I have any visitation rights to my stepson... He was 3 months old when I started the mommy role and he will be 6 in a couple of weeks...

livelaughluv260

Asked by livelaughluv260 at 3:03 AM on May. 3, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• not if you didn't have any gardianship. your best bet would to be make nice with his father and ask for visitation.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 3:08 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I would hope the father would recognize the bond between you and your step son and offer visitations to you. I doubt you have any legal grounds to request them. Have you tried to ask your ex for time with your step son?
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 3:28 AM on May. 3, 2011

• If you did not have legal gaurdianship then you have no rights. But you could ask the father if you can.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 3:34 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I would assume not, but maybe consult a lawyer.
    Samanthamommy

Answer by Samanthamommy at 12:55 PM on May. 3, 2011

• where is BM? is she still in the picture?
    cmerc19

Answer by cmerc19 at 1:53 PM on May. 3, 2011

• that was my friend's situation but the child in question was her grandson - watched him while her 18 yr old partied... then the 18 yr old mom met a nice guy and pretended to be a perfect mom - cutting my friend (child's gma) out of the picture - she tried to reason with her dd but to no avail so she took her to court... got some sorta visitation that is designed for family that has been a primary caregiver. now she does have blood in common with the child - idk if that matter. you need to get a free consult - most law firms offer them to see if there even is a case - if not that a local law school will offer free counsil - and see if based on your individual situation - like did you take care of the child 100% - Stayed at home to care for the child - who cooked - who did baths - who did the child care - what % of the time - if he traveled for business or something tha twould play in your favor... see if you have a case.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 6:53 PM on May. 3, 2011

• The laws for child custody/visitation rights vary from state to state, but a stepparent who has acted as the parent of a child for a long period and divorces the bio parent, may be awarded child visition rights if the divorce court finds that it's in the best interest of the child to continue a relationship with the stepparent.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:13 AM on May. 4, 2011