My 6wk old has been home just over a week... can't figure out why she so restless at night. Im so tired i can hardly function

My daughter isnt up all night but it sure feels that way. like tonight 1am and 3am up screaming so i fed her.... shes out at the moment but it doesnt last long. I put her in the bassinette and within minutes shes screamin/crying. we thought it be gas, but even with the drops she still cried. i touch her belly and she doesnt seem she is in pain. maybe she is colic? but that means she constantly cries right?? so in that case she not. I dunno... so much crying when she is awake.. and mostly at night... i can hardly see straight im so tired..................

mommyoftristan

Asked by mommyoftristan at 3:27 AM on May. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well for me that was just a normal six week old. But I would talk to your pedi just to make sure.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 3:32 AM on May. 3, 2011

• The hard part is trying to figure out what they like...and each baby is so different. Try wrapping her in a blanket so she feels really secure, this sometimes helps them to go into a sound sleep. If she has been in a hospital setting, she may be used to noise, so maybe try a radio or the tv in the room.... or something that produces white noise like a fan.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 3:33 AM on May. 3, 2011

• She may be colicky, my son was. I don't know if it's recommended, but I put him in his rainforest swing. It would usually put him to sleep when nothing else would.
    FroggyFeet

Answer by FroggyFeet at 3:37 AM on May. 3, 2011

• try swaddling, and getting one of those heart beat bears. that worked for my baby, he was in the nicu for just about 3 weeks and was just used to a little bit of noise. gl mama
    RedSoxWife

Answer by RedSoxWife at 3:38 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Could she have reflux? You said she just got home a week ago, was she sleeping at an angle in the hospital? I know my dtr had this issue, but we didn't notice until we got home and had her lying flat.
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 6:19 AM on May. 3, 2011

• swaddling might help a lot and the sound machine/heart beat bear can too
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 8:20 AM on May. 3, 2011

• My son had colic and acid reflux, wichita is very painful for them! He was like your child, he didn't cry all the time but he would have certain times of the daycand night that he would scream for an hour or so. He was up a lot during the night though! It will pass though even though I know right now it doesn't feel like it! Now my son sleeps from 8pm to 8am and obviously the colic and reflux r gone, and have been for about 4 months now!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 11:34 AM on May. 3, 2011

• yes,she was in the NICU for 5 weeks
    mommyoftristan

Comment by mommyoftristan (original poster) at 12:52 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Par for the course for her age. Dump anything not needed for continued breathing, OK? Stay off your feet as much as you can, and if you have visitors tell them they must do a chore or bring a casserole for admission... unless they are too young or too old to provide either.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:30 PM on May. 3, 2011

• My PED told me that colic can last 10 min or hrs. My son had it from 5 to 8 every night. He said it goes away by 4 months (i know that seems like forever) Whatever it takes to make her happy so you can sleep at this point. Swing swaddle cosleep music. Whatever. Good Luck Mama and dont worry. It will go away.
    alligurl186

Answer by alligurl186 at 2:31 PM on May. 3, 2011