Euthanasia? Should you be allowed to choose your time of death?

"the act or practice of killing or permitting the death of hopelessly sick or injured individuals (as persons or domestic animals) in a relatively painless way for reasons of mercy."
I don't understand how we can choose to allow our loved ones to suffer needlessly through painful surgeries or ailing cancers. If my loved one wanted to choose their time of death, and were given a shot that allowed them to pass in their sleep, who am I to keep them from doing it? I don't understand why killers in prison on death row are given such humane treatment, but we don't allow it for someone we love?
What's your thoughts?

Droyal14u

Asked by Droyal14u at 3:59 AM on May. 3, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I am all for euthanasia. Sometimes there isn't enough morphine in the world to keep someone comfortable while they "wait it out." If they have already given up on treatment, if they are ready to "go," if they are still in unsufferable pain...let that be an option to them!
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 5:46 AM on May. 3, 2011

• we lived next to a man who had stomach cancer it took him seven years to die. He went from a two hundred pound man to a 120 pound man and he died hard. I think it was a hard death they could only keep him comfortable who knew it was going to take so long for him to die all chemo did was keep him alive and treated. I bet if he would have been able to choose death he would have.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:30 AM on May. 3, 2011

• My ds and I were talking about this last night. He believes that you should be able to put it in your "will" when you aren't sick or ailing, to be able to have a shot that will put you out of your misery. I've seen a few ppl die, in old age that were put on morphine and we all had to wait it out. My husband thinks it's cruel to allow someone to starve to death. The last person I saw "go" like this was 87 and it took 8 days for him to pass. I've been told that there was no thirst or hunger, that the morphone took that away. It's SO sad to see someone go like that. I am really undecided on this as I do believe we can not be the cause of someone's death (other than someone being on death-row, as a criminal).
    etexmom

Answer by etexmom at 6:42 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Yes I do.. We all should have the right to die..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:51 AM on May. 3, 2011

• i think everyone should sign a document or put in their will what measures to take if they were to become gravely ill or brain dead from an accident. i think of that sometimes. i certainly do not want to suffer for a long time or i do not want to be a vegetable.. that is no quality of life imo. i would like my death to be painless and swift. good question btw.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 8:13 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Yes, I think that after counseling that we should be able to choose. If the counselor agrees that it isn't a decision based on pressure from greedy family members or a momentary sad period, then go for it. The body would be in a reasonable place and not found by family members when they came home, good byes could be said and maybe a celebration of the person while they were still alive.

Answer by Bmat at 8:18 AM on May. 3, 2011

• yes i do, and don't think if i knew i was going to die a painful death that i wouldn't figure out a non-violent way to make it happen bc i would! i don't care what people thought about it, most would probably understand especially if they have seen a family member go through it
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:03 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I totally agree. I think we're kinder to animals than we are to humans in that regard. My grandfather has been in immense pain for 10 years, and his wife (not my grandmother) refuses to let him sign a DNR. He's been brought back several times, and I wish she'd let him go. It's all family drama. I think he'd be happier going by his own choice than laying in a hospital bed in major pain with bed sores and his wife not visiting. I've seen some people who really should be allowed to choose to go. Who wants to live in a vegetative state for the rest of their life? In pain? I'd rather have options.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:48 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I think we should be allowed to die with dignity. It isn't about quantity of life but quality of life.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:05 PM on May. 3, 2011

• yes, i am pro-euthanasia. As the pp said, its not about quantity, but about quality.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 10:08 PM on May. 3, 2011