Afraid of the dark?

I had PTSD from a childhood trauma that took eight years of counseling and therapy to deal with. One of the issues was fear of the dark. My heart would race and pound in my throat whenever I had to cross a darkened room. My throat would close up and I feared I couldn't speak at all. I walked quickly to the room and turned on the light and all that apprehension would disappear. Anyone else have that fear? What do you think it is that causes the fear of the dark. I knew my fear was REAL. He was hiding there, in the dark, waiting for me. My fear was REAL. Anyone else have that fear? Real or imagined?

Droyal14u

Asked by Droyal14u at 4:16 AM on May. 3, 2011 in Relationships

• You're not alone in your fear of darkened spaces. If you're like me it's not the dark it's the fact that you can't see to know what might be hiding in the dark. I know plenty of people with the same fears so I hope you know you are not alone
    LadyMitres

Answer by LadyMitres at 4:24 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I'm scared of the dark.... I honestly don't know why but I think because it is the fear of the unknown
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 4:24 AM on May. 3, 2011

• In being afraid of the dark of course.
    LadyMitres

Answer by LadyMitres at 4:27 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I had nightmares as a kid of snakes on my floor when I'd get up to get my midnight drink (milk, juice) from the kitchen. Ever since then and still now I turn on the lights whenever I enter a room and even have my bed next to the light switch. I keep the hallway light on at night and the kids bedroom doors open so I can check on them too. I also have to have curtains on all my windows and WILL NOT look out them at night. I really don't like the dark.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 4:46 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Bdfly I am terrified of having the curtains open at night too! I can't do it! I had a nightmare as a kid with someone with red eyes looking in my window and now I can't have open curtain at night
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 5:07 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I have many fears/phobias. Luckily the dark isn't one of them. My biggest one at present time is doorbell/knock at door. I once had a man barge in/push me aside and force into my home so now even the Fed Ex guy makes me want to vomit. Sometimes I ignore it.... or have my kids tell me if they see a truck outside.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:13 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I don't go outside at night by myself in the dark.
    Honda309

Answer by Honda309 at 5:50 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I dont believe I have PTSD, but I have always been afraid of the dark, better yet (TERRIFIED) of the dark! I am 24 years old today and I am still can't walk outside in the dark by myself, for the fear that someone is out there and they will kill me or something. I know, its crazy but thats how I have always thought! So, you are def. not alone!!!
    ProudMommie87

Answer by ProudMommie87 at 10:07 AM on May. 3, 2011