Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ok If i'm already pregnant....what what do I do about insurance...??? I've heard it's nearly impossible to get good not expensive insurance if you are already pregnant...

I'm 19 living with parents and on ym dad's insurnace but i'm moving out any day or week now so the plan was to switch insurance before I move out. well i'm pregnant so I heard it is going to be hell finding insurance now.... and well Planned parenthood doesn't offer prenatal care I heard... so what do I do... havent been to doctors yet because I'm not telling ym parents aboutt the baby until i move out and I didn't want them finding out I went to any prenatal appts. since it's their insurance i'm on.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Pregnancy

Answers (10)
  • you can get regular insurance..i have normal insurance..i have Mass Health and i live in massachusetts...its not really hard to get to your doctor..they'll tell you where u can go to get insurance..theres tons of insurance buildings...

    trust'll get on it 19 also and 5 months pregnant =)

    i have insurance!

    Answer by MissKellee at 2:14 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

  • If you're moving out on your own you can apply for medicaid. I don't know about where you live but here no insurance company can start a new policy on you whether or not it covers pregnancy if you are already pregnant. And that is the second problem, again this is where I live, when you buy your own medical it doesn't cover pregnancy you have to buy maternity coverage separately which is usually more expensive than paying out of pocket because if you have no insurance at all most doctors will give you a discount. So, if you don't qualify for medicaid then I would call the health department they usually offer maternity services based on income.

    Answer by Slinkee at 2:14 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

  • p.,s. thats all bull shit about crappy insurance...if your pregnant you will get normal insurance that covers almost everything...except like extra ultrasounds...unless its an emergency then masshealth will cover it =)

    Answer by MissKellee at 2:15 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

  • p.s. no need to be rude, I clearly stated that was how things were done in my state. There are no federal standards for insurance rules so they vary from state to state. I'm glad you were able to get coverage in Mass, but I've been through this before where I live and I what I posted is not BS. The only coverage that is available here that will cover everything as you say is a group policy, which is probably what her dad has through work. If she has the option to join a group policy at work and has a Hippa that says she has had to-date coverage then the new policy, here again, would be required to cover maternity expense. But, since she's posting on here asking where to get coverage I can only assume that option is not readily available to her.

    Answer by Slinkee at 2:24 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

  • i don't know but his insurance is really good and he gets up to seven family members put on it for free....he's a firefighter..... and even if i can get normal insurance ...i heard its like $300 more..... we can't afford that if it's true

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

  • you can apply for medicaid once you move out of your parents. but your previous coverage will have to be cancelled first. also, are you a student? it may be best to stay on your parents insurance as long as they will cover you, just in case. but you will be responsible fr any bills incurred. i would suggest talk with your parents first, before you move out you need to tell them you are pregnant and ask them what they think you should do. they may be more supportive than you think. I know you are thinking you want to have a plan before you go to them but they can help you plan better than you can plan yourself

    Answer by SMWOODS at 2:32 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

  • I would hit google for insurance rates in your state and see what all is offered and how much it would cost. I would also try calling whoever you're dad's insurance is through and ask them if you can get your own policy through them. If all that fails, there's medicaid and the health dept. I wish you all the best!

    Answer by Slinkee at 2:32 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

  • In Florida no insurance company would cover me. I need to have insurance 3 months before conception. And even then the maternity coverage was extra, and the cheapest I found was about $300 a month with really high deductables so why bother. I went with medicade because I qualified for it and it covers everything. Its not BS, Boston just has better health care (lived there for the first 22 years of my life). Good luck.

    Answer by lasombrs at 4:59 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

  • You best bet would be medicaid. You can also try going to your county health department or even a pregnancy center where they will give you care now for free so that you can get looked at before you move out of your parents house. Also since you are over 18 you can go to the doctor and they are not allowed to tell anyone what you are there for without your consent. But I also agree that you should tell your parents they may be more supportive then you think. I know my mom sure surprised me and it was a relief to have her to talk to.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

  • I just didn't want to tell them now cuz they'll feel like it's another baby they gotta support and that's not the case

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.