No, we certainly are not animals S/O of "superiority"

I was following ObbyDobby's question last week about a "false sense of superiority" in the human race. I don't think I answered but I kept going back and reading responses.
Some said we have a soul but animals do not. Some said our society set us apart. The ability to reason, act on more than instinct... If you read the thread, you know the list went on, and everything on it is entirely debatable. For the record, I believe in the biological sense, yes, we are animals.
Well, with so much going for us let me ask you this, as I don't believe anyone brought it up...
What other creature on earth is stupid enough to destroy the very environment it so depends on for its survival?

Nicoles2LilRams

Asked by Nicoles2LilRams at 8:07 AM on May. 3, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• What other creature on earth is stupid enough to destroy the very environment it so depends on for its survival?

viruses
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:20 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Humans are a virus of the earth--or at least a parasite of it. . . I never thought of it quite in those terms, but I think the definition could definitely fit. We use the earth for everything we can get from it, disregarding the consequences, like a virus does with its host. The difference is. . . the virus can move on to a new host--at least until we destroy ours and there are no more hosts for any parasitic or viral creature.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:27 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Good point, you are right.

Answer by older at 8:11 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Many people do think that the human race is a virus of the Earth. When you look at how we take and not give back, it's not that unreasonable.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:15 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Humans *are* animals! Anyone who disagrees needs to pick up a science book and do a little reading.

I agree with your question OP; and add to it; how many other creatures on the planet kill for sport?

Humans are not superior to the rest of the animal kingdom in *all* ways...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 8:36 AM on May. 3, 2011

• NP so true they destroy the host then move on to a new one. Great example.
    daps

Answer by daps at 8:29 AM on May. 3, 2011

• i think we assume alot of things about animals. i think the difference between humans and other animals is that we have different ways of doing things. animals might look at us and think we are very silly when we putter around doing our every day activities.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 8:18 AM on May. 3, 2011

• NP, that is a great example! I obviously wasn't thinking small enough.
    So, are we a virus to the earth? I don't think it would be too far fetched to say so, from a certain perspective
    Nicoles2LilRams

Comment by Nicoles2LilRams (original poster) at 8:32 AM on May. 3, 2011

• We are not animals...we are stupid animals haha
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 10:19 AM on May. 3, 2011

• good question OP and good reply NP..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:52 AM on May. 3, 2011