Who do i contact about this?

I have a family memeber who is addicted to narcotics. she admitted to me that this doctor she has been seeing has been giving them to her for several years for "pain"..she has no pain. ..other that some mild arthritis and i know good and well a doctor would not prescribe pain meds for years to a patient with arthritis. My grandmother has it pretty bad and doesnt even take any kind of narcotic. This doctor is having her drive from 2 states away and pay 100 dollars for an office visist (because she doesnt have insurance) ..and she does this every month to get a refill on pain killers. who do i tell? or should i just call and threaten the doctor?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 8:10 AM on May. 3, 2011 in Relationships

• Contact the medical board in your state, do not call and threaten or he will cover his tracks before someone finds out, also contact your state attorney and let them guide you in how to stop this corrupt doctor in his tracks.

Answer by older at 8:13 AM on May. 3, 2011

• it all comes down to everyone in denial then you won't be able to prove anything. She should have a slip where the doctor prescribes these medications and she has to bring them into a lab to get them filled, you should start taking pics of his/her signature and the medicane bottle itself.

unless your family memeber that is given these medications will admit up to it.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 8:16 AM on May. 3, 2011

• You might also want to google Narcotics Anonymous to find a chapter near your family member. Go with ^^older^^'s advice first, but your family member will need some support coming of it.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 8:17 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I have arthritis and I have a prescription for pain pills by a doctor. I changed doctors too and still get them. Unless you know the severity of the condition, what CT scans and Xrays show it might be hard to prove. All the Dr really needs is those and a patient who complains she is in pain. Now if she is addicted then it is a problem. You can contact the Dr directly and tell them she is addicted and there are other non narcotic drugs like Tramadol they can prescribe. Like I said I have my own scripts, but I dont even go through a months supply in 3 months. They are only supposed to be for the days the pain is so extreme you cant handle it.

Answer by gemgem at 8:56 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I have a friend who does the same thing. Granted, she always has an excuse...it seems as if she is always in pain because of SOMETHING...it's always something new. Back pain, leg pain, head aches...you name it. I think she is a hypochondriac & got addicted to pills because of it. OR, she is faking everything. She has always seemd to be an honest person, but I've known her for 6 years now & she is almost ALWAYS taking pain meds. She even took them while she was pregnant & her Dr. said it was OK.

I don't get involved. She is a great mom & is always busy & active with her kids. I have voiced my opinion that i thinks she takes these way too much, but she says she needs them. She is in total denial about her addiction....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:01 AM on May. 3, 2011

• she is addicted. she spent the week with us last week when the tornadoes came through. the sirens were going off and she was so doped up on pain meds i could not wake her up to seek shelter. we got lucky. they hit about 10 miles up the road. i was so panicked though because i couldnt get her to budge. ..and i'm sure taking 1 pill would not knock you out cold like that. she had to mis-use them. she is always running to that doctor every month and asking to crash at our house on her visit.
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 9:03 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Go to the media; the local paper and local news channel and tell your story. Chances are good that someone will want to do a story about those sketchy kinds of "pain management" doctors.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 10:28 AM on May. 3, 2011