Is this normal for a dog?

I recently took my maltese mix dog (4mons) to the groomer. His little butt was getting matted from playing outside and he was full of grass and stickers from camping. I said short, they shaved him. And he has never been the same. This was Saturday. He hasn't barked. He doesn't want to eat. He is coughing up phlem, so he MIGHT have the Kennel cough. But when we took him to the vet they found nothing. Just like with my own child, I couldn't see giving him antibiotics when they were not sure he was really sick. No parasites, breathing fine, just a little gassy.

We are sad and worried. He just started drinking water today, no food yet. We all just want our puppy back to his palyful active self. Could be depressed? Is a kennel cough like a cold with a kid, it will pass eventually? SHould I call the groomer and see what happend? I need advice, our boys are so sad he isn't happy anymore!!

eluc

Asked by eluc at 8:19 AM on May. 3, 2011 in Pets

• It sounds like he might be depressed, I have a cockapoo that does this sometimes when I shave him they feel naked and unsure of themselves. Give him extra attention and when he starts growing the hair back he will be ok.

Answer by older at 8:24 AM on May. 3, 2011

• yeah i agree he might be depressed just give him time and alot of extra attention and he will probably come around.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 8:26 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Just keep telling him how handsome he is and give him loves.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:03 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I agree with the others. Maybe you can get him a sweater to wear until his hair grows back some.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:58 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Got the poodle shaved yesterday. When she has her big giant poof of winter fur, she acts assertive and clearly feels more confident. But I can't let it grow forever, she turns in to a matted mess. So she got her spring cut yesterday and she sulks. I did put a sweater on her. She always gets over it as the fur comes back in. Conversely, the dog in my photo that looks like a golden retriever but is a mixed breed - I had her shaved yesterday and she starts acting like a 13-year-old puppy!
    Whimsee

Answer by Whimsee at 10:06 AM on May. 3, 2011

• He is stressed and when dogs are stressed/anxious they often refuse food. Especially if he is by nature a little more sensitive. Try adding a spoon of baby food meat, like lamb or beef. Sometimes that will get them going.

The kennel cough, if that is what he has, will clear up on its own if he is a healthy adult dog, like a common cold. However if it is kennel cough, it can get messy (snotty) toward the end as it runs its course. If this is a 4 month old puppy, kennel cough can be a little more serious. But, if the vet is not concerned, then it is probably not kennel cough. Also, any exercise will often agitate the dog's cough, when they have kennel cough.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:17 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I agree with the sweater idea. I would also recommend a little extra exercise, the physical activity will help relieve some of the anxiety. Try not to baby him too much since this will encourage him to continue this behavior. Treat him as you normally would and maybe give him an extra walk during the day.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 12:34 PM on May. 3, 2011