How do you get over your nerves when driving in traffic?

i'm about to get my license and i have been practicing on roads that don't have much traffic flow but eventually i'm going to have to drive in heavy flow or even in town. Sounds scary!

americansugar80

Asked by americansugar80 at 8:26 AM on May. 3, 2011 in Just for Fun

• the best way to get over this is just go out and do it!! the more you so it the better it will get. I recommend starting on streets that have a bit more traffic then working your way up to the highways. And maybe finding someone that can keep you calm to ride with you. It helps sometimes to have someone there to give you pointers and keep you calm. Good luck!!!
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 8:29 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Especially in the beginning, take routes with which you are very familiar, so that you know ahead of time which lane you need to be in to make turns. For me, having to read street signs and look for landmarks in addition to having to watch speeding traffic, makes it harder on my nerves. So I will often pull into the lane I know I am going to need to be in way in advance of actually having to make the turn.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:41 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Practice, I guess. I grew up in a very busy city and really never thought about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on May. 3, 2011

• sing along songs with my son!!!!
    armywife271819

Answer by armywife271819 at 8:39 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Practice. My first driving lesson when I was 17, the instructor asked if I knew how to get to mom's work. I said yes, she said drive. I had to drive on 2 of the heaviest traffic roads in our area at rush hour. I learned to drive on highways like I-95 - with the big trucks all of the time. Practice, practice and make sure you drive as fast as speed limit. You can do it.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:46 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Drive a dually. People move for you.;)

Just practice what you're comfortable driving in, take those big roads, just at less congested times if you can.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 10:06 AM on May. 3, 2011

• The more you do it, the easier it will get. I like to listen to loud music when I'm alone.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:00 AM on May. 3, 2011

• The more you drive the easier it gets.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 12:12 PM on May. 3, 2011