Do smart ppl who play dumb irritate you?

An Indian (not Native Am) guy with a masters in computer programming was hired for a marketing position. He was given a position under mine. When I asked for a 8.5x11 poster, this was the conversation:

Me: Piyush, I need a poster for an event. Just an 8.5x11. Here's a pamphlet to get the info. As quickly as you can.

Piyush: OK

Me: (two days later) Piyush, I really need that poster.

Piyush: I didn't get it done because I don't know what you wanted on it.

Me: Piyush, it doesn't take much. Just look on the Internet for ideas or look into Publisher for some templates. I really need to get these posters out.

Piyush: OK, I'll look.

Me: (A week later) Piyush, do you have the poster I asked for. The print shop takes three days and we're about two weeks until the event.

Piyush: I don't know what you want me to put on it.

Me: OK! I"m drawing you a picture. Wait Piyush, I shouldn't have to do this. How hard is it for you to make a simple poster?! I've been asking you for a week now. Please just do it!!

Me: (Two weeks later) Piyush, where's the poster?

Piyush: I'll get it done this afternoon.

Me: Forget it, Piyush. I already have them done. (Showing him two posters I did the night before)

Can anyone explain why this guy stalled for so long?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on May. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

• Well, you've got here a smart guy who's an expert in a different field. Maybe he doesn't fully understand the time deadlines inherent in marketing. You tried to make him aware of the timetable necessary to get your print matter ready for your event. Unfortunately, it didn't penetrate. Also, there could be a cultural difference. One internet company I worked for had all its development done in Bangalore, India. Their concept of deadlines was different from ours. We had to find a compromise/happy medium in order for our partnership to work. Does this fellow report to you? If so, you might want to make him fully aware of the various deadlines for each stage of your next project. Maybe have him mark a calendar. Anyway, I understand how frustrating this is for you. I've been there. Good luck.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 9:16 AM on May. 3, 2011

• don't know why some people are like that!!! SO ANNOYING!!!
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 9:12 AM on May. 3, 2011

• It sounds like he just didn't want to do it. If that's the case, that's insubordination, and he should be called on the carpet for not having done what he was asked to do.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:14 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Sounds like he's got the idea that if he plays done you will do your job and his. I would document each time you have to do his job for him, maybe not in his personnel file, but as a way of showing he isn't pulling his own weight if it comes down to replacing him.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:36 AM on May. 3, 2011

• He thought it was beneath him. He had no intention of doing it. Watch your back.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:42 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I am a secretary and I know that it is hard to always guess what your boss wants with vague info. I get this everyday so I just do my best and make something look awesome and present it and then i show it to him. He may say switch the background to red..or try a new font..etc. You have to produce something regardless and then I'm sure you would have given him more feedback. If he wasn't clear on the instructions then he should have come to you and asked a few specific questions. He was being lazy IMO!! sounds like he wont last long at his job!

ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:42 AM on May. 3, 2011

• He sounds like the guy at my tmobile store lazy and unmotivated.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:17 AM on May. 3, 2011

• cuz he didn't want to do it and he was probably thinking "if it is so easy why didn't YOU do it?" his thoughts echo mine...
    CCCs

Answer by CCCs at 9:22 AM on May. 3, 2011