birth control....question

SOrry didn't know which place to put this question...but I am considering getting the 5 year implant--mirena--has anyone had this before? if so what were the side effects? did it prevent in pregnacy? or should I go with the Paraguard?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I do believe there is a mirena group in here. I think it has a lot of bad effects and a lot of people hate it.
    Anonymous

• hi, i've had mirena now for 5 mos......i love it!! the only side effects i've had was the continuos light bleeding for the first 3-4 wks after inserted.....but now i have NO bleeding or spotting at all! def. worth it....especially since (if vaginal birth occurred) you are already used to the bleeding from that anyways, dealing with that for a few more weeks is nothing compared to monthly periods.....other than that i've had no other effect.......oh but i have just a couple times have had my husband say he has been able to feel the little wire for a brief second during intercourse. it didn't hurt him or anything...he just felt it. another plus is that once mirena is removed you should be able to return to getting your period as soon as a month after.....which we plan to to next winter for our second..
    good luck!
    bugsmommee

Answer by bugsmommee at 2:33 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I have paraguard. I chose it over mirena because it has no hormones and lasts longer and I am looking for very long term (99% sure we are done). My only side effect is heavier periods. I'm very happy with it.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:47 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I don't know your beliefs, but I had my Mirena removed due to my beliefs about when life begins. If you believe that life begins at conception, you will not want to get Mirena. It is more of an abortifacient than it is a contraceptive. Other than that, I had no problems with it.. insertion was easy and removal was easy and I had short, light periods while I had it. The first 6 months I had spotting all month long that was REALLY annoying, but that was the worst part... except for finding out that instead of preventing eggs from being fertilized(contraceptive), it was rejecting already fertilized eggs from my body(abortifacient).
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 2:49 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• In response to what MamaCatCat said, Mirena also prevents pregnancy by thickening your mucus, so that it's more difficult for sperm to get in. It also prevents ovulation. Should you ovulate, and should a sperm get through, yes, it will keep a fertilized egg from implanting.
    I have a Mirena, my second. First one kept me from getting pregnant, second one has so far, but I've had spotting since I got it up in two months ago. Getting lighter, but looking forward to not spotting anymore.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:56 AM on Dec. 5, 2008