What is the gift of prophecy?

If one is told that they have this gift, from a Biblical perspective, what does this mean? Is it possible to have this gift in this day and age? If so, how does one confirm whether this is true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:55 PM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Other people may think you are demanding, that you enjoy hurting people's feelings, and that you have no understanding. One of your greatest challenges is to keep a spirit of love. Remember to "speak the truth in love" (Eph. 4:15) and not to be judgmental. If you keep a tender, loving heart, you will be a blessing in your home, church, and to individuals. You can make a real impact on their spirituality. Be careful to let the Holy Spirit convict people, rather than trying to convict them yourself. Work on being a little more positive, patient, and tactful.

Beware of Satan's attack on your gift. He may try to cause a lack of compassion and forgiveness, bring discouragement because of unrepentant attitudes by others, entice you to fall into the very sins you speak against or cause pride and self-righteousness over lack of certain sins.
    http://www.teamministry.com/cgi-bin/gifts.cgi
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 9:53 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Prophets & Prophecy - Spiritual Gifts
    They say that the gift of prophecy means only the ability to speak forth for ... Agabas exercised the gift of prophecy in a predictive way: he foretold a ...
    www.biblicalstudies.com/bstudy/spiritualgifts/ch15.htm -
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:34 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• A few years ago a spiritual gifts test said I had the gift of prophecy, this is how it was explained on there...
    The results of your Spiritual Gifts Inventory indicate that your number one dominant gift is PROPHECY! That does not mean you are supposed to have visions of the future. It means you are a "forthteller," telling or "speaking forth" the mind of God: preaching, speaking, and teaching God's Word. You are very discerning; one who points out sin with the goal of making Christians aware of sin in their lives so they will repent. A prophet in full-time Christian service is usually a "hell-fire, brimstone preacher." You have the Spirit-given capacity and desire to serve God by proclaiming His truth.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 9:52 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• As a prophet you have an ability to see that which is wrong. In fact, you tend to easily spot what is wrong and have to look to find something right. You probably spend much time praying and even weeping over the sins of the church and for lost sinners. You have a great burden over the sinful condition of the world around you. Because of this, you take every opportunity to proclaim that everyone must repent or perish.

You have a strong sense of duty and are very opinionated, impatient, and likely more depressed or serious than lighthearted about life. You enjoy being alone, but would rather be in a group than relate to people one-on-one. You desire to speak publicly. You are able to make quick decisions and want things done right. You do not like in-depth study.
    pwfaith

• Sorry it was so long - it made sense to me, although I disagree with the "hell-fire, brimstone preacher" part. :)
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 9:56 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Thank you pwfaith...I agree with the whole thing...I have found, in my experience, that satan really does use this gift to turn you against people. Also, you really have to be careful how you speak to certain people, some do get offended even when you say things as nice as possible. Also I would like to stress the words POSITIVE and PATIENCE. It can be overwhelming and frustrating at time, and yes...depressing and stressful as well.
    Susan0976

Answer by Susan0976 at 12:00 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• pwfaith I know that was the Holy Ghost speaking through you. I can bare witness to it all!!!! I wondered about the gift years ago. Because I thought I was strange, crying so much like a baby cause of the things I felt when I was in various churches and feeling different about things that others was rejoicing. But only when I sought the Lord, he taught me!!! I mean really taught me!!! I had the calling of a prophet placed within me!!! God showed himself so great in me some people in the church was scared of me, shoot I scared myself at times, Satan had me thinking I was crazy!! But thank God for keeping my mind!!! God told me he has placed his words in my mouth!!!
    jesspraise35

Answer by jesspraise35 at 12:56 AM on Jul. 11, 2008