Parents who homeschool. Would you say being around your kids everyday without that 8 hour break is a sacrifice?

As in you'd enjoy that break but you don't get it because you home school? How bad is it? I'm looking into home schooling.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in General Parenting

• My kids never attended public school (only public preschool for 2 hours a day) so I don't notice it. I don't consider being with my kids 24 hours a day a sacrifice though...I consider it a blessing to be able to stay home with them and teach them myself! As long as you have lots of support from your husband and family (so you get breaks and get out of the house when needed) then it really isn't bad at all!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:23 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Well I didn't home school my son but he was in my class when he went to school. So he was with me all day everyday...so the only break that I got was the 1 hour break that I went on for lunch. So yes I would say that is a sacrifice. It will take a toll on you mental....you would need a mental break ever now and then just to think. But I just learned to deal with it.
    moviestartaal

Answer by moviestartaal at 2:27 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I don't consider it a sacrifice. I really like my kids and enjoy being with them. I still get breaks though.
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 2:35 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I don't consider it a sacrifice. I like my kids, I want to be with them. It's more of an advantage than a sacrifice.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 2:50 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I have 7 kids and homeschool the 5 who are old enough. The younger two are home with me all day too, of course. I don't think I consider it a sacrifice - just a way of life. I have always stayed home with my kids and it just seems natural to me. I feel blessed to be able to stay home with the kids and to have the opportunity to teach them and watch them grow up and experience all the "firsts", like learning to read and do algebra. I enjoy my kids and couldn't imagine it being any other way. It is a little refreshing to get out every now and then without the kids along, but I wouldn't be able to stand being away from them 8 hours a day/5 days a week. I would miss them SOOO much!
    Godluvzu

Answer by Godluvzu at 4:52 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I only tried a homeschool environment for pre school. We had set lessons and times for classes and frankly it was a blast. However, I did learn that I am not cut out to homeschool. Teachers are saints in my opinion (well most are). I have no dobts that in a need to situation that I could do it but I am glad it's not there yet.

My son and I do need time away from each other and I do appreciate the time he spends at school. I think that it is a personal decision though. I know many moms who homeschool and don't have any issues at all.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 6:41 PM on Dec. 4, 2008