How can I get my step-daughter to behave in school?

My step-daughter started kidnergarten and she was good on the first day, but everyday since the teacher tells me that she is misbehaving and just not listening. I know that my step-daughter has been through a whole lot this last year. She was taken away from her mom over a year ago from chld services and went into foster care for a while cause her mom stated untrue things about my husband, then he finally got custody of them after 3 months and they lived at his mom's house for about 9 months, then they all moved in with me in March. I'm the only one Rebecca will listen to, she will not listen to her dad or her grandmother, not even her mom and her mom hardly sees her maybe once a month if that. Since she's been acting up in school I've tried taking things she loves away and it still doesnt seem to work, is there any other suggestions that anyone could give me?

jenluvkatz

Asked by jenluvkatz at 6:59 PM on Jul. 10, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• She needs counseling. Taking away toys and such will not help child hood depression or stress or anxiety.
    I would speak with the school to see if they know of any counceling places she may be able to attend.
    You could possibly try play therapy at home with her.
    You could pm me for help with this.
    Da1nOnlyDestiny

Answer by Da1nOnlyDestiny at 7:34 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• she may need more stimulation outside of school to keep her from wanting to jump up and play in school - my little bro has tons of energy and when he was behavin like your step-dd my parents started getting him into after school activities that spurred his imagination and used his extra energy and he understood that he could do these fun things if he calmed down listened in school.
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 1:41 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Is the teacher aware of the situation? You don't have to go into details, but her teacher should know she is under stress at home. It is important for her teacher to understand that this may not be typical behavior for this child. Especially since she's in kindergarten there is no past pattern of behavior for the teacher to compare this behavior to.

Your husband also needs to get involved.  Leaving you alone in this will make things worse in the long run.  I would focus on rewarding her for good behavior, but she also must understand that misbehaving has consequences too. 
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 2:40 PM on Jul. 11, 2008