S/O of Should we bring our men and women home

So, the answers to this question made me start thinking. I think all but 1 or 2 said we need to stay there. Although why, the best I can gather is we are not done with whatever it is we are doing. (what that is I didn't get). I have not really seen a logical goal come out of this administration for still being in Afghanistan.
My inclination is that Osama was washed up and had less to do with what Al-Qaida or any acts of terror we have seen in the past 2 1/2 yrs(since we saw none from 9-11 to 2008).
Do you agree with that and do we have more to worry about with new smaller "cells" and home grown terror?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 10:02 AM on May. 3, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• We should have never sent them ALL there..it SHOULD have been a SPECIAL OPS MISSION or MISSIONS to take out the leaders

and YES I think we should LEAVE..we aren't CHANGING anything over there

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:07 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I think the worse is to come.
    EJKZ

Answer by EJKZ at 10:09 AM on May. 3, 2011

• We just kicked multiple hornet nests with a single helicopter (and a backup helicopter). You cannot just snap your fingers, end combat operations, and bring everyone home that same day. A start of withdrawal now would basically be offering up everyone who doesn't rotate out the first week up for slaughter. We should value all the soldiers' lives, not just the ones who get to come home first.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:09 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Do you agree with that and do we have more to worry about with new smaller "cells" and home grown terror?

Yes, I would agree with this.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:18 AM on May. 3, 2011

• I heard on the news that I don't know who said it but,they said we need to get all of our men and women out of there!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:25 AM on May. 3, 2011

• BRING THE TROOPS HOME!!!!!
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 10:28 AM on May. 3, 2011

• A start of withdrawal now would basically be offering up everyone who doesn't rotate out the first week up for slaughter.

Not disagreeing here but our men and women in Afghanistan and anyone working in conjunction with Pakistan will be in greater danger BECAUSE we just kicked the hornets nest.
    itsmesteph11

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) at 10:30 AM on May. 3, 2011

--

I agree that we need to be concerned with smaller cells, and need to be alert for any violence inspired by OBL's death. If Al Qaeda has pretty much dispersed from Afghanistan or only has a small presence, then maybe we don't have much reason to be there anymore. The military will be evaluating that themselves, I suppose. I just think they will need to be on high alert for some time after this, and we need to be cautious about bringing them home. I understand the sentiment of wanting them all to come home--I would like that too, but I think it's too idealized and dangerous to assume this means it's all over and everyone can come home right now. Hopefully they can start bringing some home soon, if they determine there is less of a threat in the area though.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:35 AM on May. 3, 2011

• But at least now they're fully equipped. I've seen multiple posts here and in groups from family members of military in Iraq sitting in stripped down "non-combat" positions...in other words, sitting ducks. This has put them in danger, too, but they're logistically in more danger, because they have less tools at their disposal.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:36 AM on May. 3, 2011

--

I do agree with this part, but I thinking of how it should be handled now that we're there. If we start bringing them home right away, and something happens, the ones who are there will be in more danger. I think it should be handled cautiously.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:38 AM on May. 3, 2011