my daughter is 3 and im having a hard time getting her to eat different things, any suggestions on what foods i should try?

She only wants to eat pancakes, cereal, mac and cheese, pnut butter and jelly sammies or chicken noodle soup

shilohncobysmam

Asked by shilohncobysmam at 2:35 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My Doc told me to let them eat what they want as long it's not no sweets
    Mz.PhatPhat

Answer by Mz.PhatPhat at 3:03 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Start introducing new veggies and meats into her favorite foods....like adding apple or banana pieces to her pancakes,blueberries or strawberries to her cereal, extra carrots or celery to her soup, banana slices to her PBJs, or chicken/ground turkey/ground beef/broccoli or cauliflower to her mac n' cheese. Hope that helps.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 3:26 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• My little one is the same way. I think it's an age thing. I am sure when she grows a little it will change. I just give her what she likes and try to make it as balanced as possible. GL!!!
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 7:41 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Make the foods "fun." I make faces on my daughter's plate and often give her foods with "dip" because (as I once read in Parent's magazine, preschoolers LOVE to dip and fiddle with their food). My daughter loves to eat raw baby carrots and cauliflower and cherry tomatoes now because she gets to dip them and she crunches them with her "shark teeth." Get her involved in the planning and the prep so she can enjoy what she "made." My daughter always eats more when I give her some credit for how delicious it is (I even have a silly little chef hat and apron for her). Also another mom mentioned mixing fruits and veggies into the stuff she likes. It's true! Try mac n cheese w beef and tomatoes. Or mac n cheese with broccoli. Fruit in the pancakes and cereal. Try a peanut butter and banana sandwich (and even still put 100% fruit spread too). Experiment and be actively involved. It's tiring but will pay off.
    mommee_b

Answer by mommee_b at 8:55 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• You also can make most vegies into bread or muffins that taste good and she wont know what hit her.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:52 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• try making "mini" things for her...she might like that....my daughter and i make "mini' meatballs... I make the mixture and she helps making the baby meat balls....they don't always come out the way they are supposed to .....but i fix them when shes not looking and she eats them because she helped make them.....mini bagels with cream cheese....broccoli she loves to eat...we call them baby trees....try it....
    jmvtmom

Answer by jmvtmom at 4:38 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• What worked for us:

Cookie cutters to make foods into "cool" shapes
    Arrangement of food (like a forest, face, animal, heart, etc.)
    Miniature sized foods, like jmvtmom suggested
    Offering several different foods in small amounts on colorful plates/trays/lunch boxes with different compartments (we use the Laptop Lunchbox)
    Dips, dips, dips.... she loves to dip everything into something
    Talking about trying new things with excitement in our voices---she especially likes the idea of being brave by trying new things b/c she's very much into superheroes
    Broccoli quickly became a favorite w/ just a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese
    Allowing her to help prepare foods (helps with math a lot too!)

Continued:
    sgalsmommy

Answer by sgalsmommy at 2:41 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• At our grocery store, they have tiny carts for kids, so she shops with me. I let her do her own shopping; she feels grown up by making choices and then putting them into her own cart (of course I have to kind of manipulate her decision making process sometimes)
    Pointing out all of the great foods her "favorite" people eat. She calls her grandmother "Oma" and we now have a sandwich called The Oma Sandwich---Gracie loves eating like the people she admires
    Eating as a family as often as you can
    Talking about the benefits of food (i.e. milk has calcium for your bones! Protein in eggs/turkey/beans makes your muscles strong!, Berries have phenols to help your heart!) Some of the vocab. is a bit much, but she gets the message anyways.
    sgalsmommy

• And we also talk about why some foods are bad for us (i.e. fried foods raise our cholesterol and that's bad for our hearts, sweets like candies and ice cream can take our energy away and we don't get to play as long, sugar can cause cavities, etc.)

Good luck!!!
    sgalsmommy

Answer by sgalsmommy at 2:44 AM on Dec. 7, 2008